Does anyone know a way to get this bearing off cleanly in the garage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone know a way to get this bearing off cleanly in the garage?

Spoofed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4.0 4x4
Tearing down my M5ODR1 and I'm stuck at this last bearing. I'm wondering if I can get this off in my garage without a press or if I should just find a shop to do it.

y4DDuOFl.jpg

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bearing separator or splitter and a 2 jaw puller.

You are talking about the bearing next to 1st gear in the middle of the picture? You should be able to get that off without a press. Stand the shaft up vertically with the bearing down. Set it on a block of wood and tap the shaft down on the block. The whole thing should come loose and slide down after a few bumps.

That big bearing at the bottom of the picture does need a light pressing to get off. A bearing splitter and 2 jaw puller should do. Frankly, setting the splitter on some wood blocks and tapping the shaft with a brass hammer should do it too.

Yep that's the bearing I'm trying to get off. Maybe I'm not understanding right but I don't understand how that will make the bearing come off. I guess it's the impact from all the weight above it? I'll give it a whack (heh) tomorrow.

Thanks!

You are talking about the bearing next to 1st gear in the middle of the picture? You should be able to get that off without a press. Stand the shaft up vertically with the bearing down. Set it on a block of wood and tap the shaft down on the block. The whole thing should come loose and slide down after a few bumps.

That big bearing at the bottom of the picture does need a light pressing to get off. A bearing splitter and 2 jaw puller should do. Frankly, setting the splitter on some wood blocks and tapping the shaft with a brass hammer should do it too.

Worked perfectly thanks!

Worked perfectly thanks!

Cool! Glad you got it. Yes, as you figured out, it's just the weight of the gears above that push it down. It isn't that tight. You should be able to knock it back on pretty easily too.

Back