don't know what the problem is!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

don't know what the problem is!!!!

fletch

Reaction score
City, State
frederick maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 xlt
When I start my truck, it stalls out as soon as I take my foot off the gas. If I try to put it in reverse, it stalls...drive, it stalls. If I get it runnung and am able to throw it in drive quick enough, it will run okay after a little bit.
This is a '99 XLT.
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its possible it might be an idle speed issue, What is the idle speed? What motor do you have?

Sorry. Not sure what "idle speed" means since I have about 0 to no car knowledge. I just know that I drive it and it used to work fine. Excuse my ignorance. More information about the problem:

When the Explorer starts up, it will continue to run when I place my foot on the gas pedal. If I take my foot off of it, it will just sputter out. This will happen for a while but once I get past 10 starts (usually 10 or more attempts), the Explorer will run a little rough, smooth out, and then I can come to complete stops w/o stalling. If I let it run for a while once I get to the destination, I can restart w/o problems within 5 or 6 minutes of turning it off. I just got a tune-up and oil change a few weeks ago.

Could this be a problem with the fuel injection? It does not seem to be a starter issue because I can definitely start it up and the engine turns over.

Idel speed is the RPMs on your tachometer.

It could be a fuel filter prob.. my X had similar problems a few week's ago and I changed the fuel filter and it worked... but my X wouldn't stay running if I put it in any gear (but it would idle) so I figured it was the fuel filter.. I had 40K on the original filter...... also If you can get it to an AutoZone and have the computer scanned (usually free, atleast here) to see if there are any code's that could tell you what it may be.. or any other place that would do a computer scan for free or cheap..

Hope this helps..

[edit]

you can also try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 30min...

There is not any idle speed because as soon as I take my foot off the pedal to let the truck run in idle, it stalls out and all the lights come on (engine, battery, etc.).

Also, when I just had my tune-up, this is what they did to the truck:

Complete engine analysis (compression good) and ignition/fuel/emissions systems analysis (ignition system failed, cylinder efficiency failed and no fault codes retrieved)

Ignition wires replaced
Spark plugs replaced
Fuel filter replaced

did they check the DIS module? it's the box where all the sparkplug wires go to.. (no I don't know how to check it)

sorry couldn't be of more help...

Oh and if you post the engine you have ie. 4.0 SOHC or 4.0 OHV or 5.0 V8, you might get more responces..

It is a V8 Engine. I do not know if they checked the DIS Module. The paper they gave me that stated what they did with the truck does not say anything about it.

Thanks.

Have you had a CEL ( Check engine light ) illuminate?

Campo...how much if it is a fuel pump problem? Aldive...All of the lights on the dash light up when the truck stalls...as far as illuminating just when it is driven...no, I don't think so.

Originally posted by fletch
Campo...how much if it is a fuel pump problem? Aldive...All of the lights on the dash light up when the truck stalls...as far as illuminating just when it is driven...no, I don't think so.

If you never got a CRL, chances are there are no codes stored.

I am extremely automobile illiterate and the first place I took the truck to told me that it would cost $800 just to replace spark plugs and wires...the second place did it for $500. The truck was running fine until I had the oil change at Jiffy Lube. They referred me to the $800 ripoff artist. My mechanic got me a much better deal. It seems to me though that all of this should have been checked and fixed last month when I had the truck worked on...

$800 just to replace spark plugs and wires...the second place did it for $500.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Ack, $800 for plugs and wires? wow... granted that I havent ever taken any of my cars in for oil changes or plugs, I do all the work myself... But anyways, Welcome to the board :) and I see your in MD as well, I would offer to come up to check out yer truck but... mine isnt running and my back up car is a poor back up (its sitting with a dead battery in a parking lot right now lol) seeing you have a '99 v8 I might work a deal with you :) I find out whats needed to check the fuel system pressure that way you will know if its the fuel pump or not, and I'll also find out how if possible it is to test the DIS system, which ever is wrong with it, get the parts and I'll help install them, my rates are alot less then shops :) and ya might learn how to do a bunch of the stuff yourself, or atleast know how it works, whichs saves alot of $$ and the chance of having a shop rip you off

Oh... that deal I need to work out is that I need to measure your tranny-t-case length cause I'm plannign to use a '99 v8 explorer trans for my engine swap

Has anyone suggested to replace your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC)? When it fails (or gets disconnected) your engine will not idle. If you don't keep your foot on the gas pedal, your engine will die. The IAC valve should cost about $75 at your local automotive repair store. It is very easy to replace, even for someone with little to no knowledge.

I second Robert. You may also want to check to make sure that none of your vacuum lines have popped off. A vacuum leak will cause similar problems. There is an "octopus" where a bunch (6-8 usually) of these tubes all come together. Make sure none are removed and/or all the connectors are capped (cause not all of them are used) You should then try following the tubes to make sure they have not come off at their destinations.

Agree w/Robert...this was exactly the symptoms I had just before the IAC crapped out entirely, cleaning just bought 2 days worth of time to go get one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the first place I took the truck to told me that it would cost $800 just to replace spark plugs and wires...the second place did it for $500

Ya know, new plugs run about $1-$3 each and you can get a wire set at NAPA for about $35..........

Back