Dust slinger boot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dust slinger boot

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Noticed deterioration of the dust slinger boot where the front drive shaft comes out of front of the transfer case on my '97 AWD. Have no idea how long it's been like this. Truck's got 140K on it. I had the front drive shaft rebuilt recently and installed by a shop. Surprised they didn't notice this.

Sure it should be replaced, but is there any great rush? Not a hard-core off-roader, but occasionally drive on a dirt road or two to get to a hiking trailhead.

You mean the rubber boot on the driveshaft at the transfercase connection? You say its ripped and you just had the driveshaft rebuilt? Take it back to the rebuilder, this is where/why/how front driveshafts fail. (if you have the CV looking connection)

Noticed deterioration of the dust slinger boot where the front drive shaft comes out of front of the transfer case on my '97 AWD. Have no idea how long it's been like this. Truck's got 140K on it. I had the front drive shaft rebuilt recently and installed by a shop. Surprised they didn't notice this.

Sure it should be replaced, but is there any great rush? Not a hard-core off-roader, but occasionally drive on a dirt road or two to get to a hiking trailhead.

It needs repalced ASAP. This is what keeps the grease in the CV joint. When the drive shaft spins it will throw the grease out. It won't take long to ruin the CV.

You mean the rubber boot on the driveshaft at the transfercase connection? You say its ripped and you just had the driveshaft rebuilt? Take it back to the rebuilder, this is where/why/how front driveshafts fail. (if you have the CV looking connection)

Kinda thot so. I noticed on a schematic that there is actually an O-ring that seals in the lubricant/prevents outside foreign object entry. Seems like the dust slinger boot is an added measure that simply keeps dirt and grime at bay, but not as critical as, say, the CV joint boots...but yes...back it goes to the shop...those dummies.

Back