East coast Wheeling this Sunday | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

East coast Wheeling this Sunday

Does it feel like it is the front or rear that are touchy? Left or right? Or is it all four. W/out knowing that I'll say that you didn't break anything, the parts might just still have some mud in em. Spray em down real good and lubricate the slide pins and such.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before I go into detail about my experience let me say HIX your 91 Sport is amazing. How many people can say that they pulled out a HUMMER. Not once but twice. And rescued a full size Bronco from sliding off a ledge all in one day. We have the pics and video to prove it and I will be posting them on my web page. Now for the juicy stuff.
Sunday a group of 5 trucks headed out to Pendell for some 4 wheelin fun. The group consisted of a full size bronco, HIX modified Sport, one HUMMER, and 2 stockers. For those of you who have never ventured to Pendell it is a mudders dream. If you like to get your truck dirty this is the place. Well as it turns out I over estimate my stock 98 Sport (again) and had to leave it behind. So I rode shoot gun with anyone that would take me. A few hours and stuck truck later we decided to call it a day. We herd that there was a stuck quad in some mean and nasty soup. So john (in the HUMMER) decided to help him out. Since his towrope wasn’t long enough to reach the helpless quad he called Drew in the bronco to bring a longer one. I hopped in the Bronco with Drew and we headed out towards the HUMMER and quad. Drew was moving at a good clip. He had a good forward momentum going when he hit the trail. It carried him up the embankment made a sharp left turn and hit the brake. Nothing happened. We were not stopping. Instead we slid on this clay like mud right for a 6 foot ledge. We finally came to rest with the front left tire helplessly on the ledge and the other three touching ground. I should of mentioned that earlier during the day Drew had a flat tire and had to replace the front right with a stock bald tire. The very same tire that is now holding us from falling. To say I wanted out of that truck worst than I wanted to lose my virginity is an understatement. But I have to agree with HIX that if I were to move or get out I might have created enough movement to tip the truck. I don’t know about Drew but I wasn’t even breathing heavy. We hooked up the front end of the Bronco to the HUMMER and put some tension on the line to prevent any more sliding. Now for the challenge. How do you pull a truck free from a ledge that has no front traction? Get a third truck. HIX pulled his Sport around and tied it up to the rear end of the Bronco. The theory was simple. Use the HUMMER as an anchor and let HIX pull the rear end out. With a pucker factor off the charts and white knuckles HIX and Drew hit the gas. The first attempt shook us around a little. We told the HUMMER to back up and give us some slack in the line. And we tried it again. At this point I was praying to anyone that would listen Buda, Ala, Barney the purple dinosaur anyone that would get me the HELL out of there. Well HIX and Drew hit the gas and like the little train that said “I think I can” pulled us from the ledge. Drew and I own John and HIX a case of beer for that one. When all is said and done I cannot wait to go back. It was a great day with some adventure and stories to tell our grand children.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

Hey guys I got some pics on my home page from the trip. I am still getting some from my cousin and when I do I will post them as well. Click on my home icon to see them.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

i have to say that sunday at pendell was a great time. thanks to hix for pulling me out and drew for making things interesting. i am ready to go back whenever you are. keep me informed about this maryland run too.

Eagle,
Those pics are great! As soon as I get mine devoloped, I'll send them to you.
Eric

------------------

Hey guys.. looks like a good time..We should try to keep in touch and start putting some runs together. I know there are more Explorers out there! Im getting jealous of the the west cost guys!! haha
We should try to make some plans for next year.. and do some trail scouting in the mean time. See ya, Jim Mazz

------------------

Great photos. I still have 10 more to take on my roll so hopefully it will be gone by Fri.

Tank, I dare you to send me a copy of the video! Dead Link Removed .

Torture, how are the brakes?

I am always up for a run. I don't care if it is a 4 hr playground or a camp-n-trailride I'm up for it.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s

Of course we would! Just give us the details

Hey EAGLE, what about the extra photos. Torture, what about yours?
I will scan mine in tomorrow
Tank, send me the video

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving. I was stuffed to the gills. Well you can’t find this video at blockbuster. I have made copies for everyone that was at Pen-Dell. Yes even you Tank. So email me yourland addresses (not email)and I will ship it right out to ya. Unfortunately all the photographs that I took are on my web sight. So when ever anybody gets some more developed just send them my way and I will postem. Hey HIX how about that east coast millennium run?

Rick I would love to send you some pics. Maybe even a generic east coast page?

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

[This message has been edited by Eagle (edited 11-29-1999).]

like you, eagle, i was stuffed beyond imagination. hope everybody had a good holiday.
hix- the brakes feel okay, but i have a new dilema- there is a wierd squealing noise in the front left wheel. i took it to the shope, they said that it was packed with mud, supposedly cleaned it, and gave it back. well, 25 minutes later and another state away, it started again. back to the shop i guess.
i will hurry and get those photos devoloped since it looks like rick is giving us some room on the site for them.....

eric

Just write up an article and I'll put it on the site. I can grab the photos on Eagles site easy enough and if you have more you would like to include either e-mail them to me or you can send prints to me for scanning.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Anyone who'd like to get something together for a millinium party in Maryland, please email me at Explorerdude@hotmail.com .

I hope to get at least a dozen guys together to go. So far I only have a couple guys together. I will post a tenative wheelin date in a few weeks. Please email me if you are interested.

Happy Wheelin,

Joe Dead Link Removed

'94 Explorer XLT
4" Superlift Suspension
Super Runner Steering
33x10.50 BFG AT KO's
KKM Tru Rev Sport Intake
Flowmaster II Exahaust

Sounds like everything is coming together nicely. I will be in Colorado from the 18th of Dec to the 4th of jan. Then I head off for my late honeymoon. from the 6th of jan to the 13th. If the Milennium party is after that I am game.

Eagle---send the tape to
4626 Canton st.
Phila, Pa 19127

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s

i need more details but, short of any unforseen problems im in for the y2k run. there better not be any of that god forsaken slimy snail snot @#&*% mud tho!

by the way, got my cobra installed yesterday now all i need are tires and ill be as cool as you hix ;-)

Back