EF 3rd Annual Desert Expedition May 21-29 2013 Discussion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EF 3rd Annual Desert Expedition May 21-29 2013 Discussion

Ted, Scott, Michael, Brian, etc, pencil me in as a "maybe" at this point, wife and I are still looking at our plans for this year, haven't really started on next year. But Liz knows I need a camping trip by myself at least once a year so I can get a "kitchen pass" pretty easy (heck, with our new granddaughter coming in September, Liz might not even notice that I'm gone! :p)

I'm down for Nevada, definitely some interesting places East of DVNP. There's a cool little semi-ghost town called Gold Point that's North and West of Beatty that I passed through in 1998 - interesting place. There are some awesome hot springs in Nevada, too, many of which are on public land. Just bring a towel and a cold beer and relax under the starry skies!

Before we settle on a date, however, we may want to do a little more weather research. Here's why: For our 2011 trip, which you all remember was in late March (3rd week of March, IIRC), I was planning on staying in the Nevada desert East of DVNP. Well, I had to revise that plan and entered DV a day early? Why?

COLD!! Not only cold, but cold, icy wind and rain! When I passed through Tonopah (which I think is the center of the "old ghost town area" that Ted is talking about) the temp was about 27f and it was snowing sideways - definitely not a fun time to be outside!

Most of Nevada is very mountainous, and winter stays a long time. I have passed through Northern Nevada at the end of May (Memorial Day weekend was part of our trip) and while it did get hot it was never excessively hot.

If we want to do Nevada, I think we really need to consider moving the date back by at least a month. Mid to late April would be much better than March and early-to-mid May would be even better.

If, OTOH, early March is the desired time frame for our trip (which would be good as gas prices tend to be a little lower then), we ought to consider a different destination, someplace further South. AZ would be good and there may be areas of Southern NM that would be good as well.

Anyway, just stirring the pot a little bit...I'll stay in the loop discussion-wise.

Also, I will be in a different vehicle. As nice as my 3rd gen 4runner is, it ain't cutting it as a tow vehicle for the teardrop. Look for me to be in a 4th gen 4runner, possibly even with a V8!

May or may not have a lift on it by then but you can bet a fridge will be at the top of my "need to get" list. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

COLD!! Not only cold, but cold, icy wind and rain! When I passed through Tonopah (which I think is the center of the "old ghost town area" that Ted is talking about) the temp was about 27f and it was snowing sideways - definitely not a fun time to be outside!

..Haha..You just described the Mojave road part of our Death Valley Expedition trip..:D

..I hope all is going well in your world Martin and the Mrs..:D

Trip 2013

Martin, by the time late winter rolls around there will probably be another great Expedition worked out, no sweat, and you will be there in a new truck, (and Scott in his old/new ride also) Ted and a new partner, the whole gang. We have a good thing going and I hope we can continue for years to come. By the way I vote you in as the groups historian! Awesome trip write up and photos that you posted! Stay safe, you and your wife and family, Michael

..And we can't forget our GPS'er Brian1 or Red FX4'er..:D

...all we are waiting for now is the dates of the Mint 400 to just make sure we are not on the race course at the same time..

..and I've got a really cool place for a starting point in Southern Nevada if that's where we start from but will save that till time gets closer..;)

How about either the first 2 weeks in April ( 1 - 12 ) or the 2nd & 3rd weeks ( 8 - 19 )?

If not either of those, I'm out until the 2nd & 3rd week of May ( 13 - 24 ).

Historians.......

I was remiss in my post...... Brian research and Red fx's contributions are duly noted, all part of our Expedition also! Everyone had a contribution in some way or another, that's part of what makes it fun! I would not drive thousands of miles for some mundane trip and boring people, next year will be just as great! Michael

How does the 3rd and/or 4th week of March sound?

We should have nice weather - not too cold, not hot yet.

..Just checkin Scott but did these dates change to April..:scratch:

I have to agree that the first two weeks in April sounds better. We have a better chance of slightly nicer weather.

I'd like to be added as a "maybe" also if possible?

Hey guys, new to the forum!!! LOL, or well I feel new! I sold my expo back in '04. This weekend though I just came home with a '91 so I'm back in the game. It needs some work, 4Wd isn't working right now but considering the time till this trip I'll be failing miserably if it's not 4WD by then.

Anyways, how long is this trip being planned? Long weekend? Full week? How many days are you guys guessing?

I'm in Vegas but previously lived near Prescott so the mention of bradshaw mountains is cool but I've explored that area endlessly on dirt bikes. I'm hoping for the Nev trip personally. I've raced dirt bikes all around caliente, Pioche and Panaca which are epic areas but have virtually no experience in the tonopah stretches so that's really appealing to me cause it would be 100% new for me other then the fact I lived in tonopah when I was too small to remember! LOL

As for my experience though, I'm 35y/o. Been offroading since I was 8y/o on dirt bikes, dune buggies, Jeeps, prerunners, etc... I currently own a toyota pickup caged front to rear with 18" travel up front and linked in the rear with 24". 100% self built. I'm also in the midst of building another tacoma that's similar and will be raced. You guys mention the Mint... We're hoping to be on the starting line this next time around! I also have a fairly built Jeep on 35's but it's for sale once I get it cleaned up later this week as the Expo I just bought is replacing it. What can I say, out of every vehicle I've ever owned I miss my '92 the most so I finally plunged back into the club. I also have 2 dirt bikes that I race.

Basically I sorta live and breath playing in the dirt as my hobbie!

The expo I picked up is a '91. It's a fixer upper and needs work but lets just say it's still TTB but much wider then stock, king coilovers up front, nationals in the rear. 35" tires, etc etc etc... hopefully by this trip the 4WD will be functioning again and I'll have any reliability bugs/issues dealt with. I wouldn't join if I didn't have 100% full confidence in it by that time.

So anyways, I wanted to introduce myself a little bit as this run sounds like something I'd really enjoy and with the dates being so far off I should be able to have my rig ready for it. My issues would mostly be time off from work and if it is around the time of the mint race, I'll be racing it hopefully myself so I'd have to work around that also. But if we're talking nevada and I've got a fully capable rig I'd be dumb not to try to tag along in the fun since I'm in Vegas already!

BTW, I'm heavily into the racing scene... If I was going to bet... The mint will take place near stateline (jean) again in 2013. In 2011 they ran the north coarse which was all of apex, valley of fire, and areas east of the 15. But it got so trashed and the promoter that put it on that year did such a bad job in the eyes of BLM that they basically lost the race. Some shady backroom deals found the mint back in 2012 with a new promoter. They weren't allowed by BLM to run the north area cause of the damage they were still trying to repair so they were forced to run the same course many other races use out at Jean. My gut feeling and guess is 2013, the north land still won't be rehabbed enough for BLM to consider reusing it. Obviously I'm not the source so don't for sure plan but this is my guess. Also, as for a date... It's probably going to be quite a while till the 2013 Mint date is released... Just a FYI...

Here's a sample of my driveway just FYI...

The newest addition!

100_0407.jpg

My other toy...

538315_872409168108_23707796_36019343_1431436756_n.jpg

And the race truck as it sits right now...

100_0377.jpg

I'd like to be added as a "maybe" also if possible?

Hey guys, new to the forum!!! LOL, or well I feel new! I sold my expo back in '04. This weekend though I just came home with a '91 so I'm back in the game. It needs some work, 4Wd isn't working right now but considering the time till this trip I'll be failing miserably if it's not 4WD by then.

Anyways, how long is this trip being planned? Long weekend? Full week? How many days are you guys guessing?

I'm in Vegas but previously lived near Prescott so the mention of bradshaw mountains is cool but I've explored that area endlessly on dirt bikes. I'm hoping for the Nev trip personally. I've raced dirt bikes all around caliente, Pioche and Panaca which are epic areas but have virtually no experience in the tonopah stretches so that's really appealing to me cause it would be 100% new for me other then the fact I lived in tonopah when I was too small to remember! LOL

As for my experience though, I'm 35y/o. Been offroading since I was 8y/o on dirt bikes, dune buggies, Jeeps, prerunners, etc... I currently own a toyota pickup caged front to rear with 18" travel up front and linked in the rear with 24". 100% self built. I'm also in the midst of building another tacoma that's similar and will be raced. You guys mention the Mint... We're hoping to be on the starting line this next time around! I also have a fairly built Jeep on 35's but it's for sale once I get it cleaned up later this week as the Expo I just bought is replacing it. What can I say, out of every vehicle I've ever owned I miss my '92 the most so I finally plunged back into the club. I also have 2 dirt bikes that I race.

Basically I sorta live and breath playing in the dirt as my hobbie!

The expo I picked up is a '91. It's a fixer upper and needs work but lets just say it's still TTB but much wider then stock, king coilovers up front, nationals in the rear. 35" tires, etc etc etc... hopefully by this trip the 4WD will be functioning again and I'll have any reliability bugs/issues dealt with. I wouldn't join if I didn't have 100% full confidence in it by that time.

So anyways, I wanted to introduce myself a little bit as this run sounds like something I'd really enjoy and with the dates being so far off I should be able to have my rig ready for it. My issues would mostly be time off from work and if it is around the time of the mint race, I'll be racing it hopefully myself so I'd have to work around that also. But if we're talking nevada and I've got a fully capable rig I'd be dumb not to try to tag along in the fun since I'm in Vegas already!

Khris,

You are welcome to join us!

The trip will be 8 - 10 days long, depending how long people want to stay. Plan on being self sufficient (food, fuel, water, etc.) as I'm not sure how many "civilized" towns we will pass through.

I don't anticipate any hard-core wheeling (we will have several stock trucks with us) but I do hope to spend most/all days on dirt.

Fix your Ex - you only have 9 months!

Yes, I assumed that it would be a self sufficient type trip from what I've read so far with just few supply stops. Like you said, 9 months! I gotta get that skeleton race ready in 6 of those 9 months also and I'm doing it solo! LOL No problem!!!

I'll have to see about a full week. Worse case as plans are finalized I can always peel out midway if need be cause of work/day off restrictions, etc...

Read post # 41...

..:scratch:..I don't get it..:dunno:

..If it's the cold thing I don't remember it being as described in that post when I lived/worked there but I will follow along as to what you guys figure out.

..I would like to add the dates when I change the first post since the 3-4 of you have confirmed the first two weeks of April.

..Meet on April first and done by the 12th?

Nothing is confirmed.

I put the question out there to see if anyone wanted to move the dates to April.

And, don't you remember last year? It snowed on the Mojave Road...

I'll have to see about a full week. Worse case as plans are finalized I can always peel out midway if need be cause of work/day off restrictions, etc...

..The more the better..:biggthump

..We always have people who want to make the trips but are limited due to time constraints..

..Keep an eye on this thread for the dates and let us know when you can join the group..Beginning, middle or end don't matter as we can fit you in..:D

My vote would be for Mid - May as a first choice or mid - April as a second.

I've been in Northern Nevada (Black Rock Desert area) around Memorial Day and it wasn't too hot at all. Downright cool at night, in fact and probably not above 90 during the day.

If everyone else is OK with the April dates then I am, too. However, as that is a 'transitional' time, be prepared for extremes of either heat or cold, it's always a possibility.

From what it sounds like we may be near Tonopah, NV. If that's the case, I checked out the climate data, average highs in March are 50, average lows around 30. In April those averages move up 10 degrees.

Climate data doesn't mention wind but from what I recall on my way to DVNP it was brutal all across NV.

There are some interesting historical sites around there - old WWII airfields that were used to train pilots, and even the site of an underground nuclear explosion, one of the few that was conducted outside the Nevada Test Site (project Faultless.) Also some spectacular natural features like Lunar Crater.

Remember also that we'll be near "area 51" (i.e., the Groom Lake airfield) and the "Extraterrestrial Highway" (NV 375) so we'll have to watch out for aliens, too! :D

2013 Expadition....

I would be good mid April, warmer is better tho (being from the NE) the sooner the warmth the better :D Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..You've been added..;)

Back