EF 3rd Annual Desert Expedition May 21-29 2013 Discussion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EF 3rd Annual Desert Expedition May 21-29 2013 Discussion

..Just throwing this out there since it is early on in the planning stages..

..:scratch:..Would it be a more interesting trip if we did a "Haunted" Ghost towns Expedition?..Do some night Exploring for some ghost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been thinking about Big Bend in TX lately. In talking with a friend of mine who has taken his dual sport bike down there he says there are a number of trails including a 100 miler along the river. That would be a good March trip.

I wouldnt mind another part of Utah either. Nevada sounds interesting. Time to browse some trip reports for ideas...

I would like to see Big Bend, and 100 miles along the river would be great.

However, there is the security issue we would need to be very aware of.

I can go along with whatever everyone decides on. Too many opinions sometimes make decisions more difficult. As to the time, as long as I know well in advance, I can usually make any dates work. Ghost towns (haunted or otherwise)sounds interesting. Big Bend sounds good too. I am guessing the security issue is the closeness to the Mexican border.

..First post has been updated ..:biggthump

I can go along with whatever everyone decides on. Too many opinions sometimes make decisions more difficult. As to the time, as long as I know well in advance, I can usually make any dates work. Ghost towns (haunted or otherwise)sounds interesting. Big Bend sounds good too. I am guessing the security issue is the closeness to the Mexican border.

Yes. Unfortunately, the border is a very dangerous place, and the media does not report it. :mad:

If you would like to do some Ghost towning North of Phoenix there are loads in the Bradshaw Mtns.

http://bradshawmountains.com/mines.htm

It would be cool to have two runs head up to Crown King where we could stop and camp. One would be well equipped/modified suspension rigs and the other could be stocker to mild mods.

..I would love to get together for another Crown King Run sometime..:D

..It might make for a cool winter run this year between CCR, Moab, and the various Truckhaven runs..

how about bodie ca?

..I'm not sure what the question is but Bodie Ca. is not currently part of a tripped being planned..I'm not saying it definitely will not make it on this current run..

..I guess we need to start working on a starting point and an ending point..

..We could start as far south as Phoenix/Vegas/ Rhyolite and go as far north as say Carson City/Virginia City or even the "Mustang Ranch" ?..:dunno:

..We could start as far south as Phoenix/Vegas/ Rhyolite and go as far north as say Carson City/Virginia City or even the "Mustang Ranch" ?..:dunno:

I have the Vegas to Reno 2008 Racecourse map. 455 off-road miles from Beatty to just South of Virginia City. Or the 2007 map which is 559 miles if you prefer :D

What about around Tonopah and Beatty? Here are a few trails: http://www.deserttrails.net

What about around Tonopah and Beatty? Here are a few trails: http://www.deserttrails.net

..Those are a must do for this trip..:biggthump

..That's part of what I was thinking when I mentioned around 95 and also possibly starting in Rhyolite or further south..I know a few made it over to rhyolite on the Death Valley/Mojave Rd. trip but figured others would want to see this little gem too..:D

..We can't miss places like Goldfield and if we could make it up to Virginia city it's always a treat..Lot's of hidden ghost towns in this area..

..Lono, are you in as a maybe?

..From what has been mentioned, this will happen around the weekend of March 29th?

..Everybody want to help firm up if the week before or after this date would be best to start?

2013 Expadition....

For me any time after April 1st would be good, March could be a problem...... 2nd/3rd week would be perfect. Michael

..Alright, 1 vote for the first week of April..

..If Brian, Scott, Martin, RedFx4, and a few others will chime in this week we can get a date on this for long term planning..:D

The first week of April works for me.

Last 2 weeks of March work for me.

Not sure about April...

Ok..... I'll make my choice easy..... whatever the rest of the group decides will be good for me, it's not like I have to go to work....... :D Michael

The date doesnt matter too much to me, late March and early April sounds fine.

Edit: timing it with the Mint 400 desert race would be neat unless they use the north course which would crowd up Beatty and likely Tonopah. The dates arent out yet that I could find but I would expect it to be either March 20-24th or 27-31st. I would definately try to be in Vegas for contingency on Fremont street if it fit in the schedule and then meet up with you guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..We can always schedule around or within a race..:burnout:

..The Mint and starting in Las Vegas could work..But again, Vegas is crowded for that but there is always room to camp out by the chicken ranch..:p:

..So far for penciling in purposes, it's looking more like the last 2 weeks of March or the last week of March and the first week of April ?..

Back