Electric Fan Options (other than MKVIII and Taurus) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan Options (other than MKVIII and Taurus)

Do the wire loom, tape at ends and randomly along it's length to keep it closed. As JoshMcMadMac has mentioned.
I like the install. Looks really clean and OE. Assuming you ditched the lower portion of the shroud as well. Can you explain how it's mounted? Where did you attach it etc... what did you have to trim if anything.
I got rid of the entire original shroud. I had to trim off 4 tabs the Mustang shroud had on each corner. In order to keep it mounted I used 3 black zip ties in the top,(if you look closely you could see them), and 3 on the bottom. The shroud doesn't budge, nice and tight. It sit about 1/2" away from the original water pump pulley where the OEM fan mounted. I just made a trip to Connecticut, 3hrs each way. To be honest I didn't notice any savings in MPG but I definitely notice the truck felt much more loose both on the highway and local roads. You can tell the OEM fan held it back some, especially when you take your foot off the gas. BTW will do the wire loom. Also, I didn't use anything to hold the sides of the shroud because the shroud is nice and tight and the sides of the shroud have a ridge that sit on a lip the radiator has and it mates perfectly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will be doing this on our explorer some time this week, or next weekend (just waiting on wire, relays and connectors from ebay). In Oz, we don't have too any Crown Vic or Mustangs, so I will be using a twin fan setup off a 2000 model AU Falcon sedan. The explorer radiator is 650mm wide, the fans are 680 wide, so should fit quite nicely. Haven't measured height yet, but I reckon the twin fans will be shorter than the radiator, so I may need to use the bottom part of the shroud to seal it all in. I'll post pics up once done.....

Oh, I'm using the davies craig thermo fan kit (0401), plus the top radiator hose kit (0409) for the thermo probe from the same manufacturer. And the relays I have are 3 x 30Amp ones with built in fuse holder too. I've used the same setup on an older 5.0 Windsor powered V8 Falcon, and it worked well in that application, so should go well in the truck too.

I will be doing this on our explorer some time this week, or next weekend (just waiting on wire, relays and connectors from ebay). In Oz, we don't have too any Crown Vic or Mustangs, so I will be using a twin fan setup off a 2000 model AU Falcon sedan. The explorer radiator is 650mm wide, the fans are 680 wide, so should fit quite nicely. Haven't measured height yet, but I reckon the twin fans will be shorter than the radiator, so I may need to use the bottom part of the shroud to seal it all in. I'll post pics up once done.....

Oh, I'm using the davies craig thermo fan kit (0401), plus the top radiator hose kit (0409) for the thermo probe from the same manufacturer. And the relays I have are 3 x 30Amp ones with built in fuse holder too. I've used the same setup on an older 5.0 Windsor powered V8 Falcon, and it worked well in that application, so should go well in the truck too.
Good Luck with your install!

All done (see how to thread in the stickys at the top of the page)

Just an update on my install. It's been about 3-4wks since I made the conversion to electric fan and everything is going great! I especially love how much quicker the truck heats up when it's cold...much quicker than stock.

I purchased a fan from the model year you'd done ama4ace, new, Dorman and out of the box it was bad. Major wobble in the fan blade. I did like how it fit in the radiator and I believe it can be modified to fit the radiators fan shroud mounts.
I replaced my radiator recently, so I've been able to use the old one for mock up.
Alas, I'd already fab'd a 2001 Stang GT fan to fit in the OE shroud. Once I've gathered the wiring I need, I'll do a write up.
Once done, I'll then convert my wife's 05 V6,using the 05-13 fan.

I purchased a fan from the model year you'd done ama4ace, new, Dorman and out of the box it was bad. Major wobble in the fan blade. I did like how it fit in the radiator and I believe it can be modified to fit the radiators fan shroud mounts.
I replaced my radiator recently, so I've been able to use the old one for mock up.
Alas, I'd already fab'd a 2001 Stang GT fan to fit in the OE shroud. Once I've gathered the wiring I need, I'll do a write up.
Once done, I'll then convert my wife's 05 V6,using the 05-13 fan.

Wow it sucks that the new fan arrived defective. Did you just get the fan or the complete fan and shroud? I purchased mine on Craigslist for $50 and it was an OEM takeoff with the shroud. Everything fit perfect with the Mustang GT shroud. I didn't have to adapt anything.

Here's the final version of mine. The I extended the lower shroud so it now holds the fans in place, and I cut off the lower section of the fan so air can be pulled through from the bottom of the radiator as well as the top. I tested this using the paper test - a piece of A4 paper will now stick to any part of the front of the radiator, which means it should flow enough to keep things cool.

Final_Setup.jpg

I built a jig for testing fans, one of these days I'll post I. It includes testing ampere inrush and running amperes as well as CFM.

Another note though. The bottom portion of the OE fan shroud has a semi flexible flap, it protects the power steering pump cooler from road debris. It need to be kept in place on these types of mods. You did JCUZ but others may not have.

Back