How well will a Electric Fan work on one of these?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How well will a Electric Fan work on one of these??

racprops

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4WD
I have a couple of Electric fans off a couple of Panther cars, one off a 2000 Mercury and one off a 04 Crown Vic P71.

As these came off a 4.6 already wonder why they will not work great. EDIT Took a tape to it, darn too wide.

I would really like to keep the stock car set up of the fan not coming on until warm up and the two or three fans speeds,
on the Mercury it had a set of relays that controlled the fan speeds. But I believe those choices of fan speed was by the PCM.

It also would turn on the fan when the compressor cut in, that will be easy to wire a relay on the compressor to power the fan when it also turns on.

AS for the two or three temperature controls I fear I will need two or three adjustable temperature sensors that I can select the temperatures I want each fan speed to turn on.

Any one know of a better way??

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK Found a good answer right here on this site. Sorry did not grab the credit for it and cannot seem to back track to find it again, none the less here is the info:

Electric fan conversion.

Items required:

-a '92-'95 Ford Taurus 3.8L electric fan
-Hayden 3657 fan controller (Pepboys and O'reilly's carries this in store)
-various lengths of 10 gauge and higher gauge wire.
-two 40amp SPST (single pole single throw) relays
-one 35amp SPDT (single pole double throw) relay
-two freewheeling diodes part number: 1N5408
-two blade type fuse holders
-one 40amp and one 35 amp blade fuses. (one for low speed and the other for high speed)
-various crimp on disconnects, eyeholes and other crimp on wire connectors
-some form of a heat resistant flexible material (more on this later)

Costs:
Taurus electric fan: $25
Hayden fan controller: $39

There’s a few electric fan conversions in here. Just need to search and check them all out.

There’s a few electric fan conversions in here. Just need to search and check them all out.

I have and added the finding of what parts fit to my post.

The one question I have not found a answer to is: How well do these electric fans work on these trucks.

Personally I believe electric fans are better, specially as I live in AZ. A electric fan is controlled by temperature and can/will go to full speed when the engine is hot specially at engine idle like at a stop light.

And can cut its power when not needed like when at highway speed.

I noted my 02 Explorer would speed up the idle speed when it got hot. That was not always enough so I would have to feed a little more power to speed it up to 2000/2500RPMs to cool her down.

I think a electric fan can do that job better.

In fact I cannot understand WHY does Ford put in a old engine driven fan??

Rich

I used the flex a lite 180
1641999249081.png

Edit...Oh I'm sorry I forget to say its 3300 cfm @18 amps 12v
I've never heard it go to more than 60% power

There's a popular volvo 2 speed controller people integrate into other vehicles. They can be found in junkyards easily.

Those Taurus fans move more cfm's than most aftermarket fans but also draw upwards of 40a on startup so heavy gauge wiring is key.

There's a popular volvo 2 speed controller people integrate into other vehicles. They can be found in junkyards easily.

Those Taurus fans move more cfm's than most aftermarket fans but also draw upwards of 40a on startup so heavy gauge wiring is key.
Oh I'm sorry I forget to say its 3300 cfm @18 amps 12v
I've never heard it go to more than 60% power

I purchased an anemometer to measure wind. And using a ammeter gauge built a jig to test wind flow and starting amp draw/running amp draw. Then picked up a bunch of fans people talked about from the wrecking yards and purchased (ended up returning) new fans as well.

I ended up with a 2000’s Mustang fan and a decent amount of modification. The used fan ended up failing and was going to go with a 2010 mustang fan, but never got back around to it.

I can tell you, the Mark 8 fans don’t output what people say, and aftermarket fans don’t hit their ratings either. The Mustang fan didn’t have a destructive starting Amp draw and had one of the highest air flows.

I used a flex-a-lite controller with the probe that goes into a fitting which I spliced into the upper hose.

One of the first things I noticed, is that the start up idle was a lot easier/smoother.

Jig

My install

Back