Electric Fan Options (other than MKVIII and Taurus) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan Options (other than MKVIII and Taurus)

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
After a deer took out my bumper and hood, which took out the radiator fan shroud which took out a fan blade and the radiator, I started looking into the electric fan conversion.
Pretty disapointing to say the least.
The best option seems to be the Lincoln Mark VIII due to CFM's. No aftermarket fans available new, so you're forced to buy off ebay or hunt through the wrecking yards. This is all fine and dandy until your used fan goes bad and the replacement could be days or weeks away.
So, a little research on some Ford vehicles that also have the 4.6l and below is what I've found.
Note: the specs came from Dorman, I added the pricing from NAPA.
Now you could buy these new, but also, this adds more options to the wrecking yard hunt. More seems like better in this case.

The DORMAN 620-119 (NAPA 855-3045, Retail $279.00, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car 2006-2011) is a 2 speed fan. On low it draws 4 amps, on high it draws 20. The CFM’s on high are about 2700. (we do not have a low test rating on this one)

The DORMAN 620-130 (NAPA 855-2618, Retail $184.00, Mustang 1997-2000) is a 2 speed fan. On low it draws 16 amps, on high 30. The CFM’s are 2600 on low and 3100 on high

The DORMAN 621-353 (NAPA 855-2674, Retail $249.00, Crown Vic Police Interceptor/Taxi/Limousine 2006 - 2010) is a 2 speed fan. On low it draws 3 amps, on high 27. The CFM’s are about 1200 on low and 3200 on high.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I knew enough to give you advice on this one. It sounds like a neat project to spend a Saturday doing, but does an electric fan perform better than the standard pump driven fan? I'm honestly curious about this. Seems like a solution looking for a problem but if it works more efficiently I'd be really interested

I'm doing it because my fan is litterally non existant anymore. Although I wanted to anyway, now I'm just having doing it quicker or spend the same amount of cash on a new fan and clutch.
There are plenty of threads out there on it. People that love it and quite frankly, people that have never done it that hate it.....go figure.

Number one reason, it reduces the draw on the engine. Having run my Ex without the fan&clutch currently, I can tell you the engine runs better almost instantly.

Bottom line, it's a tinkering project that will give you better HP and gas mileage. Whether it's enough to make a difference is up for debate.
I'd say do it because you like to tinker.

All sorts of vehicles today use the electric fans. Obviously, from my post above, police cars running the 4.6l V8 run them. So they work.

I'm just looking for anyway to increase my gas mileage. If the engine isn't having to rotate a fan that is designed to catch and push air, then the engine will run more efficient.
I just haven't settled on a fan yet.

Go with the Dorman 620-118. It is for the same era Thunderbird (94-97), which used the same fan as the Cougar and Mark VIII. It is ~$70 from Rock Auto. You can see how I handled it if you scroll all the way down to part #8 of this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294228

There are other options for installing it, especially if you already have things apart from an accident. I have had good luck with the Flex-A-Lite 33054 controller but there are other options out there, mostly simpler relay-style setups that cost almost as much and lack the "soft-start" capability.

As for performance, the electric fan was used on a higher output version of the same engine so it is definitely designed from the factory to be up to the task. I know it made a substantial increase in my fuel economy, especially when replacing an older clutch and running down the highway.

After a deer took out my bumper and hood, which took out the radiator fan shroud which took out a fan blade and the radiator, I started looking into the electric fan conversion.
The best option seems to be the Lincoln Mark VIII due to CFM's. No aftermarket fans available new, so you're forced to buy off ebay or hunt through the wrecking yards. This is all fine and dandy until your used fan goes bad and the replacement could be days or weeks away.
So, a little research on some Ford vehicles that also have the 4.6l and below is what I've found.
Now you could buy these new, but also, this adds more options to the wrecking yard hunt. More seems like better in this case.

The DORMAN 620-119 (NAPA 855-3045, Retail $279.00, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car 2006-2011) is a 2 speed fan. On low it draws 4 amps, on high it draws 20. The CFM’s on high are about 2700. (we do not have a low test rating on this one)

The DORMAN 620-130 (NAPA 855-2618, Retail $184.00, Mustang 1997-2000) is a 2 speed fan. On low it draws 16 amps, on high 30. The CFM’s are 2600 on low and 3100 on high

The DORMAN 621-353 (NAPA 855-2674, Retail $249.00, Crown Vic Police Interceptor/Taxi/Limousine 2006 - 2010) is a 2 speed fan. On low it draws 3 amps, on high 27. The CFM’s are about 1200 on low and 3200 on high.

You can still buy the Mark VIII fans new. You can also get replacement motors from Amazon and other places for < $100. I got the VDO replacement fan motor (PM9032) from Amazon. Using that p/n you should be able to see which year vehicles it fits so you get the right fan.

The #'s of those fans you posted aren't much better than the black magic xtreme. On the older generations the Black Magic would not keep the 4.0's cool so I don't know if it would on your newer X.

Another option for a fan is off a 2005-2010 Mustang with a 4.0. I haven't looked into this mod yet but I do remember reading about someone working on it (or so I remember).

~Mark

That is the thing, take your chance on an e-fan from a wrecking yard and get it for very little $$ and that of a brand new aftermarket one and spend a lot of $! There are more than just factory replacements from a Ford you can use too, Volvo for instance uses on some models the exact same motor and fan blade assembly with of coarse shrouding differences! And you can always just get a brand new motor for one if it goes out and not need to buy the entire thing! And how dare I mention Chevy has some pretty high output fans as well that guys are using for non-stock installs on the cheap!! The j.y Taurus fan seems to be the most popular one if you google it, all sorts of info on it as well as factory type relays and controlers!:popcorn:

for best savings

. . . I'm just looking for anyway to increase my gas mileage. If the engine isn't having to rotate a fan that is designed to catch and push air, then the engine will run more efficient. . .

Electric fans are most effective for improving fuel economy when cruising (when a fan isn't needed) and when driving in cold winter climates (again when fan isn't needed). If you drive mostly in the city with Georgia winters you may not see much improvement.

This may be interesting: Electric fan conversion info.

Just as a note, I have the flex-a-lite black magic extreme in mine (kit 180? 185? something like that). Works awesome! Got a little bit better mileage out of it in the city and on the highway. And it is quite easy to put in as well.

Awesome input guys, much appreciated. Hopefully others will come across it as well.

Go with the Dorman 620-118. It is for the same era Thunderbird (94-97), which used the same fan as the Cougar and Mark VIII. It is ~$70 from Rock Auto. You can see how I handled it if you scroll all the way down to part #8 of this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294228

There are other options for installing it, especially if you already have things apart from an accident. I have had good luck with the Flex-A-Lite 33054 controller but there are other options out there, mostly simpler relay-style setups that cost almost as much and lack the "soft-start" capability.

As for performance, the electric fan was used on a higher output version of the same engine so it is definitely designed from the factory to be up to the task. I know it made a substantial increase in my fuel economy, especially when replacing an older clutch and running down the highway.

Josh, this looks like an awsome write up, I've book marked it as it doesn't come up under Google searches. I'll probably ask you some questions once I get the time to read what you did on my computer.

Go with the Dorman 620-118. It is for the same era Thunderbird (94-97), which used the same fan as the Cougar and Mark VIII.

Mr. McMadMac, the 620-118 is rated at 1600 cfm at low (10 amp) and 2300 cfm at high (18 amps.)
All the claims for the 4.6l suggest high 3k is needed.
I assume you've had no overheating issues...
Does it stay on low most of the time? Or do you know?

I'd though about hooking up indicator lights to show when the fan is on and at which speed.

Mr. McMadMac, the 620-118 is rated at 1600 cfm at low (10 amp) and 2300 cfm at high (18 amps.)
All the claims for the 4.6l suggest high 3k is needed.
I assume you've had no overheating issues...
Does it stay on low most of the time? Or do you know?

I'd though about hooking up indicator lights to show when the fan is on and at which speed.

Where are you getting these flow numbers from?

I used a late model Volvo fan (something newish and Turbo- S70, V70). As I got it for scrap, already out and away from the vehicle, I don't have an exact yr/mk/model to give you. All I know is it was designed, stock, to pull air though 6" + of core thickness, wiht the rad, condenser, and intercooler. I have a spare I got recently, but its 2 hours away at my grandmother's, so no pic right now.

I trimmed the Volvo shroud, and fiberglassed it into a stock Ranger mechanical shroud ('93 Ranger, 4.0L-OHV), then after some light sanding to remove any "finger-stickers" and sharp edges, I painted it with black undercoating. Its hard to tell its even there, until it turns on.

I don't have a cfm rating for you, but I would say it is similar to the Taurus/MKVIII. It pulls about 30amps. It has had no problem keeping my Ranger cool. (5spd, no a/c)

I used a cheap autozone temp controller. It works, but I really don't like how the probe has to sit in the upper hose. It makes it hard to get tit to seal at the rad. I may change it eventually, but that costs money.

One day, now that I'm "elite", I'll do a thread with pics.

Then they are selling a fan that is substantially less capable than stock. :thumbdwn:

And/Or they are measuring them differently. You will get different CFM values if you measure it pulling through a radiator (with a load on it) or free air.

I remember running into that when I first started looking at electric fans. They weren't all measured the same :(

~Mark

And/Or they are measuring them differently. You will get different CFM values if you measure it pulling through a radiator (with a load on it) or free air.

I remember running into that when I first started looking at electric fans. They weren't all measured the same :(

~Mark

Look at the amperage ratings, that is a much safer comparison with all of the quoted fans that should all be the same 18" size and very similar dimensions. 18A is much lower than stock, which would be around 30A.

You are right, measuring airflow is sticky and difficult to compare. I would hope that Dorman would be consistent in their own testing, though.

Their claim is that it is to all OE spec.
Which would make sense.
Also, OE fans usually have controllers on the vehicles. Maybe they are all soft starts. So starting the same fan without a soft start could produce a much higher amp spike.

I just installed today an electric fan from a 2011 Mustang GT on my 05 4.6 Explorer. Didn't use any controller for the fan just purchased an electric fan switch kit from Autozone for $24.99 which had a thermostat probe switch which was preprogrammed to turn the fan on at 185 degrees and turn the fan off at 160. I used the entire fan and shroud from the Mustang, looks stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed today an electric fan from a 2011 Mustang GT on my 05 4.6 Explorer. Didn't use any controller for the fan just purchased an electric fan switch kit from Autozone for $24.99 which had a thermostat probe switch which was preprogrammed to turn the fan on at 185 degrees and turn the fan off at 160. I used the entire fan and shroud from the Mustang, looks stock.

Any ideas if these cool better or worse than stock?
I tow with mine and would love to do this mod to get a few ponies and a little mpgs but I don't want to loose cooling power.

Can you make a manual override on it as well? For towing I would want the fan always on to cool the Trans cooler more.

Thanks

Back