Electric Fan Options (other than MKVIII and Taurus) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan Options (other than MKVIII and Taurus)

Any ideas if these cool better or worse than stock?
I tow with mine and would love to do this mod to get a few ponies and a little mpgs but I don't want to loose cooling power.

Can you make a manual override on it as well? For towing I would want the fan always on to cool the Trans cooler more.

Thanks
I just installed it yesterday so as far as it cooling better or worst it's yet to be seen. I expect it would be better. Yes you could definitely put a manual overide switch. Also the kit I used turns the fan on when the a/c is truned on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed it yesterday so as far as it cooling better or worst it's yet to be seen. I expect it would be better. Yes you could definitely put a manual overide switch. Also the kit I used turns the fan on when the a/c is truned on.

In the units I have installed, using the A/C trigger for the fan is is how I would create an over-ride on..

I would connect the A/C wire (the one that goes to the compressor) and instead of having it go directly to the fan control trigger I would run it to a switch and then to a relay. That switch would allow the driver to turn it off when heading down the freeway when the fan isn't helping (e.g. driving 60 mph).

I would then run another switch that would send 12v to the output side of the a/c trigger relay (the one that is going to the fan a/c trigger). This way you can flip a switch and turn on the fan if for some reason you want it on when the coolant isn't hot enough and the a/c isn't on..

~Mark

In the units I have installed, using the A/C trigger for the fan is is how I would create an over-ride on..

I would connect the A/C wire (the one that goes to the compressor) and instead of having it go directly to the fan control trigger I would run it to a switch and then to a relay. That switch would allow the driver to turn it off when heading down the freeway when the fan isn't helping (e.g. driving 60 mph).

I would then run another switch that would send 12v to the output side of the a/c trigger relay (the one that is going to the fan a/c trigger). This way you can flip a switch and turn on the fan if for some reason you want it on when the coolant isn't hot enough and the a/c isn't on..

~Mark
Sounds good. The a/c trigger wire is the one I would have used for a manual overide switch. I wired it to the a/c as per the instructuions. I took the truck out today for the first time since the install and I must say it worked flawlessly. The temperature gauge stayed staedy just under the halfway point...BOOYAH!

BTW the kit I bought in Autozone was good for up to 2 fans.

Very cool I will definitely look into it

The temperature gauge stayed staedy just under the halfway point...BOOYAH!

I am sure it is working great. However (just so you know) the temperature gauge will not climb above halfway until the coolant temperature is already overheated. It is an electronic gauge and does not reflect the actual temperature, unfortunately.

I am sure it is working great. However (just so you know) the temperature gauge will not climb above halfway until the coolant temperature is already overheated. It is an electronic gauge and does not reflect the actual temperature, unfortunately.

I don't know exactly what you mean about that. While installing the fan the thermostatic switch was Not seated against the radiator and as the temperature climbed so did the guage. It did Not overheat but it was climbing pass the halfway point towards 3/4 of the hottest point on the guage. I immediately shut it down to find the problem. But the engine did Not overheat or "boil over" and the temp gauge did rise passed the halfway point.

BTW please Don't think I am arguing with you I am just stating my experience and I appreciate yours and everyones feedback as I am No mechanic and have No qualifications as such just a DIYer. Thanks!

I don't know exactly what you mean about that. While installing the fan the thermostatic switch was Not seated against the radiator and as the temperature climbed so did the guage. It did Not overheat but it was climbing pass the halfway point towards 3/4 of the hottest point on the guage. I immediately shut it down to find the problem. But the engine did Not overheat or "boil over" and the temp gauge did rise passed the halfway point.

It is an electronic gauge, and operates within a "window" for standard temperature. Watch it, and you will see once it warms up it goes from "cold" to "half-way" pretty quickly and steadily. It will sit at half-way for a fairly large temperature range. I am not certain of the range, but for conversation let us say that anywhere from 160°-230° is normal. You could be running at 161° or 229° and the gauge would be in the exact same position..."half-way". Just because you did not boil over does not mean you were not operating above the intended coolant temperature, and if you would have waited another minute the high-temperature light would have come on and the gauge would have peaked.

It is an electronic gauge, and operates within a "window" for standard temperature. Watch it, and you will see once it warms up it goes from "cold" to "half-way" pretty quickly and steadily. It will sit at half-way for a fairly large temperature range. I am not certain of the range, but for conversation let us say that anywhere from 160°-230° is normal. You could be running at 161° or 229° and the gauge would be in the exact same position..."half-way". Just because you did not boil over does not mean you were not operating above the intended coolant temperature, and if you would have waited another minute the high-temperature light would have come on and the gauge would have peaked.

Ok, now I understand Thank you for enlightening me. :thumbsup:

The 2011 Mustang GT electric fan I used actually had 3 wires 1 was ground and the other 2 were low and high settings, it is a 2 speed fan. I just used the high setting. Also, I was able to use the complete shroud from the 2011 and everything. All I did was cut off 1 tab on each corner of the shroud for a total of 4 tabs and everything kinda fit spot-on.

I just installed today an electric fan from a 2011 Mustang GT on my 05 4.6 Explorer. Didn't use any controller for the fan just purchased an electric fan switch kit from Autozone for $24.99 which had a thermostat probe switch which was preprogrammed to turn the fan on at 185 degrees and turn the fan off at 160. I used the entire fan and shroud from the Mustang, looks stock.

Can you provide any pictures of your install. Perhaps a few different angles.

fyi, I use photo bucket to upload pics. See attached just in case you haven't done so before. I'd really like more info on your install. Specifically pictures.

PhotobucketUpload_zpsff0704f3.jpg

I've noticed that a lot of these electric fans, have a 'temp probe' built into the fan shroud, which appears to just set next to the radiator and pick up the radiant heat. Probably the low speed. They tend to look like a heat sink for a computer. Anyone tried just utilizing this instead of buying a aftermarket controller?

Can you provide any pictures of your install. Perhaps a few different angles.

fyi, I use photo bucket to upload pics. See attached just in case you haven't done so before. I'd really like more info on your install. Specifically pictures.

PhotobucketUpload_zpsff0704f3.jpg

I won't be able to post pics for a few day the wife is using the truck and doesn't get home till after dark. but as as I can I will take a few pics and post them.

Ok hee are some pics. I have to put black tape aound the rest of the wires to "clean it up" but it is too cold and the tape is not as sticky.

IMG_0324_zps73b9c88b.jpg

IMG_0326_zps4f0afb6a.jpg

I started covering the wires with black electrical tape but ran out of tape. I went and bought another roll but it is too cold to wrap them up the tape isn't sticking. As soon as it gets warmer I will finis covering the wires.

I started covering the wires with black electrical tape but ran out of tape. I went and bought another roll but it is too cold to wrap them up the tape isn't sticking. As soon as it gets warmer I will finis covering the wires.

Buy wire loom, then wrap that with tape. It works much better, especially if you ever need to get at the wires again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the wire loom, tape at ends and randomly along it's length to keep it closed. As JoshMcMadMac has mentioned.
I like the install. Looks really clean and OE. Assuming you ditched the lower portion of the shroud as well. Can you explain how it's mounted? Where did you attach it etc... what did you have to trim if anything.

Back