engine rough after replacing head gaskets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine rough after replacing head gaskets

jreeder

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 V6 4.0L
I just got done replacing my head gaskets, and it my complete surprise, my 92 Explorer with 186xxx miles actually runs! Lol.

It's not running smoothly though. It has a rough idle, not bad, but more throat-y Harley sounding. It also "pops" from the right side of the engine once it gets a couple minutes to harm up. Not loud like backfiring, just random pops from the passenger side of the engine.

When I first put the spark plug wires on I put them on in the wrong order and it ran terrible. I finally figured it out and resolved that. Could something have gone wrong while it was running like that? (Ran maybe 10 min, idling and once around the block real slow). New spark plugs also.

I also did my best to clean the fuel rail and injectors during the process, and it could be possible I didn't do a good job of keep dirt away from the injectors. (This was my first engine project so I'm still learning things, like what to keep clean!) Do I have to remove and clean the injectors with something, or would fuel injector cleaner do the trick?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Should also mention the head were machined and have new valve seats.

Also, I just noticed exhaust coming up from the exhaust-to-exhaust pipe connection on both sides. I guess I didn't make a good connection between the two. Does the engine need to have compression past the engine to run properly?

Welcome to the site!

I would start with fixing the exhaust leak.

Are you getting any codes?

Mike

Just an idea. on my first headgasket job i forgot a wire and a vacuum line. Is there a hissing noise? that would be a vacuum line. i didnot have a "pop" though

Back