• Register Today It's free!

Engine seized after mudding

04_xlt_4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
So I was mudding and went thru a puddle, turned out deeper then I thought and the whole front end dipped down, long story short Im told my engine is hydro-seized. Water was sucked in the engine thru the air box. Truck wont start, just clicks once and thats all I get. Im told the engine is seized. Before I take it to the shop and spend lots of money, any ideas to fix this problem? Id love to get a new engine, maybe the 4.2 from the F-150 but Im stationed in Germany and getting a engine here is hard to do. All help is greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bad news first, if it sucked down a bunch of water the engine is likely toast (bent rods and maybe destroyed crank shaft and vavle train damage. good news is that you can get an engine pretty cheep from a scrap yard and put her in on a weekend. your looking at a fairly expensive bill no matter what you do here. a rebuild is always an option too.. realy comes down to what end up being damaged and if the cost of repair comes close to the cost of replacement.

Pull the spark plugs out, and turn the engine over to get the water out. Then put the plugs back in, put in a new air filter, change the oil, and see if it starts. If you are lucky it will be fine. If not you need a new engine.

If the engine has been sitting for some time with water in the cylinders you are probably SOL anyway because things will be rusty by now.

Try what others have said and you may get lucky, but probably not.

As far as the 4.2L V6 from the F-150, keep in mind that it has almost zero similarity with the 4.0L V6 the Explorers use, as it is an OHV engine from the Ford "Essex" family of V6 engines derived from the 3.8L V6 the Mustangs formerly used (before switching to a version of the 4.0L used in the Explorers), and has a whole slew of problems, none of which would make it an improvement over the SOHC 4.0L. Your best bet would be for a rebuild of your current engine, should it prove to not be too damaged.

Good luck.

Tom

Thanks for all replies. This jsut happend today so hopefully no rust. Im gonna get it to a shop tomorrow and have a look at it and tell me damage. Guess Ill see what happens...Thanks again everyone!

Yup, sounds like you hydrolocked. ***** when you can't compress liquid.

I found a 4.6L for my '02 with 60k verified miles for $1k on www.car-part.com. Taking delivery on it tomorrow.

Good luck!

Back