2003 Explorer 4.6 Limited. Seized engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer 4.6 Limited. Seized engine

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
The vehicle:
2003 Explorer Limited. 4.6 L v8 Engine. 155k miles.

Hi guys. I just bought this explorer at the end of april, and over the weekend the engine seized on the highway without warning. Seems like I had some bad luck here, and there's probably no implied warranty for a car so old, and with so many miles. Should I even bother contacting the seller?

The high temp/low oil light came on, and within probably 10 seconds the engine seized. I coasted to the breakdown lane.

So the explorer has 155k miles on it, and I really don't know it's maintenance history. Though right up until the very moment it died, it was driving phenomenally well. It felt great and sounded good too. So I am a little confused about why the engine would have seized like that.

I would like to keep the truck if possible/ feasible, but I am really not sure what to do in this situation. I paid $3500 for it, and the engine repair will probably be $2500+.

If it were your vehicle, would you put a junkyard motor into it, or would you get a refurb? Or new? Or something else?

I am hoping for some impartial outside perspective on the situation, because the mechanic is sending me vibes that he wants me to accept it as a loss. I got the impression he has a few people lined up with explorers of the same age and engine, and he's trying to figure out how to juggle them all, maybe buy one, fix one, and sell one.

If it has not had the transmission replaced recently I would sadly scrap it.

Back