Mechanic says it's impossible to get the engine out while it's seized | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mechanic says it's impossible to get the engine out while it's seized

Torque converter and flexplate are the only things that need to turn to seperate. You can take the torque converter out with the engine. Can't believe the tech is willing to throw jobs away.
Can you direct me to some documentation of how to accomplish this? I don't how how to detach the engine from the transmission without unbolting the flex plate.

Nope, but there are a bunch of youtube videos on different vehicles. Done it myself on a couple chevy half tonnes. just follow the regular procedure, just skip the part of fishing for the torque converter bolts through the starter hole. Then when you pull it forward the converter will come with the flexplate.

Also remember when the converter pops loose from the transmission you are going to get the tsunami of transmission fluid out of there.

A converter holds about 10 quarts!

Used the same process myself to remove blown engines with bent rods. It works but its a little more tedious.

You could always lift the body completely off...

OP - If you're dropping in a new engine and transmission, what other issues are you afraid of? If you just change the T-Case fluid every now and then, and do regular maintenance you should be able to get a bunch more miles out of a vehicle with a newer engine and rebuilt transmission.

My bet is that he will offer you a rock bottom price for the truck since he is saying it's a junker.

He will then rebuild the entire thing and sell it at a nice profit.

However, I tend to look at the "Dark Side" of people.

Too much George Carlin I guess....

As soon as I read the OP this is the EXACT thought that came to mind.

Back