Engine Swap-New Ford explorer member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap-New Ford explorer member

FredRD

Reaction score
City, State
Moonee Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003/4 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I have a 2004 explorer v6 4 ltr with a failed timing chain, I also have a 2003 explorer (rollover) 4.6 ltr v8 engine
I would like to fit the 4.6 ltr from the 2003 into the 2004 explorer, has anyone done this engine change before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@FredRD Welcome to the Forum! This topic isn't as common as the V8 swaps with the 2nd-gens, but similar swaps have been done.

To save you the trouble of having to figure it out yourself, firstly, you're posting this question in the wrong subforum. Go to the main page, scroll down to 3rd generation (2002-2005) forum, go under the Modified section, and then beat the Search function dead. Key search terms would include "V8 swap", "engine swap", and similar. However, I've done a bit of the field work for you, since I see that you are very new.

This covers a 3rd-gen V6 to 4th-gen V8 swap, but with both engines being 3rd gen on your application, basically it should be as simple as taking the engine, transmission, PATS, and all electronics from your V8 model, slap some new motor mounts onto the V6 frame, and bolt 'er all back together.

Recommendation: use the door lock cylinders and ignition cylinder from the V8 donor vehicle, 'cause the PATS will go nuts with two different key codes. I assume that you already know such common-sense details, if you're proficient enough in the field to perform an engine swap.

There are other 3rd-gen engine swaps, but I didn't find any immediately concerning the exact swap you'd be attempting. Again, beat the Search function dead, and if nobody has made a write-up about it, be the first! If you've got all the materials from both Explorers to get the job done right, then it should be basically the same as any other ECU + engine + transmission swap. Don't skip steps, don't cheap out, and don't work while you're tired!

Hi, I have a 2004 explorer v6 4 ltr with a failed timing chain, I also have a 2003 explorer (rollover) 4.6 ltr v8 engine
I would like to fit the 4.6 ltr from the 2003 into the 2004 explorer, has anyone done this engine change before?
welcome to EF! yes, it has been done, i believe! since they are the same generation, iirc they are similiarly mounted so it should be a semi easy swap iirc

@FredRD Welcome to the Forum! This topic isn't as common as the V8 swaps with the 2nd-gens, but similar swaps have been done.
To save you the trouble of having to figure it out yourself, firstly, you're posting this question in the wrong subforum. Go to the main page, scroll down to 3rd generation (2002-2005) forum, go under the Modified section, and then beat the Search function dead. Key search terms would include "V8 swap", "engine swap", and similar. However, I've done a bit of the field work for you, since I see that you are very new.
This covers a 3rd-gen V6 to 4th-gen V8 swap, but with both engines being 3rd gen on your application, basically it should be as simple as taking the engine, transmission, PATS, and all electronics from your V8 model, slap some new motor mounts onto the V6 frame, and bolt 'er all back together.
Recommendation: use the door lock cylinders and ignition cylinder from the V8 donor vehicle, 'cause the PATS will go nuts with two different key codes. I assume that you already know such common-sense details, if you're proficient enough in the field to perform an engine swap.
There are other 3rd-gen engine swaps, but I didn't find any immediately concerning the exact swap you'd be attempting. Again, beat the Search function dead, and if nobody has made a write-up about it, be the first! If you've got all the materials from both Explorers to get the job done right, then it should be basically the same as any other ECU + engine + transmission swap. Don't skip steps, don't cheap out, and don't work while you're tired!

@FredRD It appears that your reply doesn't contain any text. The others and I would be happy to help with any further questions or concerns on this topic!

@FredRD It appears that your reply doesn't contain any text. The others and I would be happy to help with any further questions or concerns on this topic!
Thank you, for some reason yesterday I was unable to place text in the reply box but it this reply text is working ok. I will try again. thanks. fred

My position with the engine swap is. Both cars are close, 2003 is the accident damaged v8 car, 2004 is the engine failure v6 car.
I have removed the v6 and found all the cam chain guides are quite severely damaged or discintegrated, the forward cam follower and lash adjuster was also damaged on the forward RH bank cylinder of the v6.

The v8 2003 car,
This car had a rollover into a very muddy freshwater dam some years ago, all the airbags had deployed except the steering wheel airbag. At this stage this car had been sitting for at least 5 years in its damaged state, on dry land but in the open subjected to the weather, with dried mud throughout everything including all the electrical components.

I was concerned that I would have difficulty getting the electrical components working again if at all. Luckly the dam was a fresh water dam.
I removed the PCM and opened it up, I found that although some muddy water had enter the PCM and dried over a section of the printed circuit board, it cleaned up ok.
I cleaned the terminals and refitted the PCM.
Next I removed and tested all the fuses and relays, all but one relay were ok, I replaced the one relay and reassembled the fuse box,
Next I fitted a battary and tried to start the V8 with no response other then I could hear the fuel pump work,
I checked the starter and found the solenoid was not working, so I juggled around with the terminals on the solenoid and bingo the starter turns the engine over, and the engine sounds great turning over but didn't look like it was going to start.
The next day I tried again with no success in starting the engine, I removed the instrument cluster which was covered in dried mud inside and out, I cleaned the cluster the best I could and refitted the instrument cluster.

I cleaned and reset the inertia switch and the neutral start switch which both seemed to be ok.
I tried to start again and the engine appeared to be trying to start, none of the instruments were working except the airbag light was on nothing else was working so I was unable to tell if there was any fuel in the tank, and if there was it would be quite stale, I put about 5litres of fresh fuel into the tank and bled fresh fuel through the system using the bleeder valve on the v8 engine lh fuel rail, the fuel pump was working just fine.
I tried again to start and bingo, the engine started, missing like hell but slowly the miss cleared and the engine ran idles beautifuly.

I tested the forward and reverse of the transmission and both directions seemed to be working ok, I couldn't drive the car because it had no brakes, one of the front calipers was missing some vital parts, so driving was out of the question, at this stage.
I left the car for about half an hour, then out of the blue, the anti theft horns started going off, I disconnected the battery and the horns and tried to start again. I was worried that the anti theft system had kicked in and I would be unable to start the engine without resetting electronic stuff. the anti theft system seems to have cleared itself ? now the lights flash for a while when the battery is reconnected but the engine starts every time and runs great.
Whoooo hooooo.

Next I will clear the way and test the transmission, probably on the hoist with the car in the air.
That completes most of the critical parts of the testing of the v8 engine to go into the 2004 car.
Now to see what electrical bits need to be changed over from the v8 car to the v6 car.
Im hoping that the main car harnesses will be able to be reused from the v6 car.
I'll keep you posted.
Fred

@FredRD Good going, good going! For good measure, you might want to source new or junk yard parts to replace the ones that were exposed to water or mud directly; some times, even if it looks good on clean-up, the damage that was caused isn't immediately apparent. That might possibly be related to the anti-theft issue, or perhaps there's some other reason for its random activation. The wonky anti-theft system in my '03 Durango will trigger the alarm any time any key is used to open any door - the fob HAS to be used to disable the system first. Not sure how Ford's systems worked, but play with it and learn the quirks, or check in the manual and see if you could disable it temporarily.

Excellent documentation thus far! Check out the plugs and sockets to see if the wiring will hook right up between the V6 and the V8 - there could by body wiring differences between the '03 and the '04, and/or if the features and options differ between the '03 and the '04, you might be left with extra or missing harnesses after the swap. I'd search around for wiring diagrams first - knowledge is power!

04 is canbus, 03 is not. There will be some minor differences between them. A trip to the junk yard will be needed.

04 is canbus, 03 is not. There will be some minor differences between them. A trip to the junk yard will be needed.
I guess I might need to get a wiring diagram for the 03 and the 04 to see what the differences might be, I was hoping to use the under dash components such as anti theft module and key etc from the 04, Im hoping there is a common plug for these components, ill let you all know what I find.
( 03 not canbus and 04 is canbus is a bit of a worry, I'll check it out)
Thanks for your comments.
Fred

Back