Experience trans shop said NOT to change fluid @ 100k?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Experience trans shop said NOT to change fluid @ 100k?!

SgKukov

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4.0
Hey Guys,

i figured now was a good time to get my tranny fluid changed, i have tomorrow off and called a local very reputable shop to setup an appointment.

After i told the guy the specs and mileage he said not to do a flush and recommended against even changing it! He said with the mercon 5 full synthetic it wasnt really neccassary.

My trans seems to be shifting a tiny bit clunkier lately as i go through the gears, i thought changing the fluid might help... he says its not a big deal and not to worry.

What do ya'll think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change the fluid and filter. That old nasty worn out fluid won't be helping you. Synthetic or not, transmissions break down the fluid over time and shed wear particles from friction materials and other wear points.

I just changed mine. The sad excuse of a dealership didn't dare to change the filter though. They just flushed it out.

What did I get out of it? - a brand-new car, no tranny slip, better acceleration (still wouldn't dare to challenge the kids on the drag strip though) and 1 mile extra on the gallon.

I just changed mine. The sad excuse of a dealership didn't dare to change the filter though. They just flushed it out.

What did I get out of it? - a brand-new car, no tranny slip, better acceleration (still wouldn't dare to challenge the kids on the drag strip though) and 1 mile extra on the gallon.

Anybody not convinced? I am! imp

After seeing the crud in some cars' trans pans, I never let fluid go beyond 20k miles on my vehicles. Fluid and filter change are a lot cheaper than a trans rebuild. I have added drain plugs to all my trans pans so it's a quick job.

After seeing the crud in some cars' trans pans, I never let fluid go beyond 20k miles on my vehicles. Fluid and filter change are a lot cheaper than a trans rebuild. I have added drain plugs to all my trans pans so it's a quick job.

Have you any that are without a fill tube/dipstick, like 5R55S? I fitted mine up with a fill tube and dipstick, pics and all, somewhere else in this dang forum. Maybe you can find it, if you care to look. imp

No, haven't had one without a fill tube.

On both my A4LDs, I replaced the drain plug I installed with a valve type plug, like is commonly used for oil drain plugs. Fumoto makes a nice example of this but I use the parts store special. So far there are no leaks and I can open the valve to drain some or all of the fluid without any mess.

5R55S fill tube/dipstick

Have you any that are without a fill tube/dipstick, like 5R55S? I fitted mine up with a fill tube and dipstick, pics and all, somewhere else in this dang forum. Maybe you can find it, if you care to look. imp

I think this is the one you're referring to: Transmission Fluid on 05 explorer starting with post #7

Back