Need Help- Transmission - Hate to Go Hear Again on Flush / Fuid Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help- Transmission - Hate to Go Hear Again on Flush / Fuid Change

Tranny Fluid / Filter Change And Flush (Yes) or (No)?

• Change tranny filter, filter and fluid change with synthetic, no flush

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanaM

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport 4WD
Greetings,

Went to see a mechanic today, great mechanic, honest guy, tells ya like it is and he drives a Ranger, 4.0 SOCH :)

He agreed with me that my transmission in my 01 Ford Explorer Sport w/ 125K shifts smoothly and is peppy. He also agreed with me that the current transmission oil smells bad and is brown. I told him I was interested in a flush and fluid (Amsiol Synthetic) change. I asked him if I should do it or not and he said I can do it or leave it alone, no guarantees on if I will lose the tranny after the flush / fluid change. He said he would not change the fluid and include the old fluid with the new, he did not seem to like that idea.

About 5 years ago I did have him flush and change the fluid on a Durango as a good maintenance measure and lost the damn tranny a week later.

After I talked to him today, I started calling tranny shops, One guy told me to change it because if the fluid is not black and the tranny is not slipping, a fluid change and filter change would be fine, just do not flush it. Another guy at Ammeco said to leave it alone, drive it until it goes. He also said that if it brown and smells that is an indication that something is already wrong so drive it till it does.

At this point not sure what to do. I do want to do a flush, filter and fluid change as a good maintenance measure but I do not want to lose the tranny and pay for a rebuild I got this thing used at 123k I know it was never done before.

What are your thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About 5 years ago I did have him flush and change the fluid on a Durango as a good maintenance measure and lost the damn tranny a week later.

I think that either a) your trans was just about to go anyway or b) the guy who did the flush did something wrong during the procedure ( ran it without fluid, got it hot, etc. )

After I talked to him today, I started calling tranny shops, One guy told me to change it because if the fluid is not black and the tranny is not slipping, a fluid change and filter change would be fine, just do not flush it.

I think that is reasonable advice. Certainly no good can come from continuing to run brown fluid.

Another guy at Ammeco said to leave it alone, drive it until it goes. He also said that if it brown and smells that is an indication that something is already wrong so drive it till it does.

I think this guy is an idiot. Or he wants you to come back for a rebuild later.

At this point not sure what to do. I do want to do a flush, filter and fluid change as a good maintenance measure but I do not want to lose the tranny and pay for a rebuild I got this thing used at 123k I know it was never done before.

What are your thoughts?

Just change the fluid and filter. Don't be surprised if you see the fluid turn a little brown again, since it will mix with the rest of the old fluid trapped in the TC and valve body. Still, half old fluid and half new is better than all old.

You could check the fluid after driving awhile and do another change if the fluid is still brown. That is the reason to do a flush; if you want to get pristine pink ATF, you need to get the brown stuff out; the flush does this by pushing out all the old stuff.

Don't wait for 123k to change the next time.

I think that either a) your trans was just about to go anyway or b) the guy who did the flush did something wrong during the procedure ( ran it without fluid, got it hot, etc. )

I think the answer to this one is a).

I think that is reasonable advice. Certainly no good can come from continuing to run brown fluid. Agreed sir!

I think this guy is an idiot. Or he wants you to come back for a rebuild later.

Probably both :)

Just change the fluid and filter. Don't be surprised if you see the fluid turn a little brown again, since it will mix with the rest of the old fluid trapped in the TC and valve body. Still, half old fluid and half new is better than all old.

Will do. Do you recommend I go with Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid, or just regular, maybe the next fluid drain / replace use the synthetic?

You could check the fluid after driving awhile and do another change if the fluid is still brown. That is the reason to do a flush; if you want to get pristine pink ATF, you need to get the brown stuff out; the flush does this by pushing out all the old stuff.

Don't wait for 123k to change the next time.

If had owned the truck from day one, we would not be in this boat.

Thanks for the info and the vote!

D a n a

If it is brown at 125K You need to have an external cooler because it is getting hot. Spend your money on that and not AMZOIL. New fluid doesn't do anything if you are cooking your seals.

If it is brown at 125K You need to have an external cooler because it is getting hot. Spend your money on that and not AMZOIL. New fluid doesn't do anything if you are cooking your seals.

Great advice. I thought I had a tranny cooler, I thought all 2nd gen 4 x 4s have one. I'll have to look later today.

Thx!

D a n a

DO NOT FLUSH!!!!

Regular service at regular intervals is all it needs. Drop the pan, dump whatever oil comes out with it, change the filter, and top it off. That's honestly all this trans needs to live a long and happy life. I've done nothing but that, and I'll be turning 180,000 miles on it later this week (knocking on wood). It'll be getting its 6th fluid and filter change. :)

Back