Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Had our 2016 Sport Explorer for a few days now. After reading this thread I feel much better. 14.2 MPG so far in just city driving back and forth to work in MI. Still under 200 miles driven so far. Love the car!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had our 2016 Sport Explorer for a few days now. After reading this thread I feel much better. 14.2 MPG so far in just city driving back and forth to work in MI. Still under 200 miles driven so far. Love the car!
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Enjoy your ride and happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Mine hit the 500 mark today and it's almost getting 19 now.

I've had the 2012 limited ecoboost for about 2 months now with 1700 miles. I'm getting an average of 16-17mpg city and around 24 highway. This is driving VERY conservative. I know this doesn't seem like much, but we're talking a 20% decrease from the sticker MPG. I've owned a few new Ford vehicles in the past and never had any issues getting the fuel economy on the sticker (if not better). Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas?

Exactly what I've been getting - what one expects from the standard V6, not what we paid extra for on the Ecoboost 4. All I got on this site was criticism from too many Ford "tools" monitoring threads here. Good luck!

It seems that the mileage figures on the Window Stickers now seem to show more realistic numbers. My 2011 Limited showed 32 mpg hwy and the 2016 Limited sitting in the showroom with the same 3.5L V6 engine showed 27 mpg hwy.

Peter

Hey, just happened to run into this in the owners guidebook:

Driving style — good driving and fuel economy habits
Give consideration to the lists that follow and you may be able to change
a number of variables and improve your fuel economy.
Habits
• Smooth, moderate operation can yield up to 10% savings in fuel.
• Steady speeds without stopping will usually give the best fuel
economy.
• Idling for long periods of time (greater than one minute) may waste
fuel.
• Anticipate stopping; slowing down may eliminate the need to stop.
• Sudden or hard accelerations may reduce fuel economy.
• Slow down gradually.
Maintenance and Specifications
2011 Explorer (exp)
Owners Guide, 4th Printing
USA (fus)
Driving at reasonable speeds (traveling at 55 mph [88 km/h] uses 15%
less fuel than traveling at 65 mph [105 km/h]).

• Revving the engine before turning it off may reduce fuel economy.
• Using the air conditioner or defroster may reduce fuel economy.
• You may want to turn off the speed control in hilly terrain if
unnecessary shifting between the top gears occurs. Unnecessary
shifting of this type could result in reduced fuel economy.
• Warming up a vehicle on cold mornings is not required and may
reduce fuel economy.
• Resting your foot on the brake pedal while driving may reduce fuel
economy.
• Combine errands and minimize stop-and-go driving.

6th gear is put in at around 45 MPH and I realized that I can reach 28 MPG every time if I just stay around 45 - 55 MPH with the 3.5L V6.

All that should be common knowledge to most drivers. It only took you 5 years to come across that in the Manual? ;)

Peter

All that should be common knowledge to most drivers. It only took you 5 years to come across that in the Manual? ;)

Peter

I barely finished a chapter of a textbook in college:D. Google has spoiled me. Also, I wasn't sure if that would be true or not because I always wondered if you went faster, would the miles you traveled per second be greater than the rate of burn because the Fusion seems to get the best mpg at 70 while my Explorer does at 45 - 60

I had an 09 Edge Limited with FWD. I have an AWD Platinum Explorer that gets ~ 2 mpg less around town.

I'm pretty pleased.

TW

2016 Explorer Sport with 1700 miles on it so far. Averaging 18.4 miles per gallon as of this morning. Probably 40% city 60% highway, but the traffic is terrible while on the highway. If I could get a couple days with no traffic I bet I could average 19-19.5.

I also use the sport. This is being reasonable on the gas, but also a couple of WOT pulls from stop lights and on the highway.

Explorer poor mpg and issues

I have had my new explorer for about 4 months and love the vehicle except for the gas mileage performance. The actual mpg is not even close to the 28/20 advertised by ford. I get more like 23/19 on average. I have tested it on several different trips, resetting to get highway mileage only, using different speeds, cruise control etc. Not even close to the 28 mph highway advertised! In fact I checked the gallons pumped for 6 fill ups, and in every case, the amount of fuel pumped (purchased) at each fill up was more than the car's trip computer calculated in every case. So, the calculated mpg is even less than what the car's trip computer is reporting! I guess I didn't really expect 28/20, but I didn't think I would miss by 5 (or more) mpg! This is a big difference, and I am disappointed with the results. Maybe a case of false advertising???

ditto on everything you have noted here...I have complained to Ford Corporate and even was provided a case, but they keep telling me "it's conditions"...and I keep telling them, I've never owned a vehicle that didn't meet or beat the mileage posted on the stickers...which is exactly why I had the dealership FIND me the '14 Explorer Limited Ecoboost....mileage at best on 1500 mile trip...23 mpg...and typically it's at 17-19 around town, 21 highway jaunts.
Sucks and now I'm have axle bracket replaced since it's BROKEN, had my epass system replaced after power steering froze up. POOR VALUE AND QUALITY VEHICLE FOR 40K+
DON'T BUY A FORD EXPLORER.

Just got back from a trip to Texas from Iowa. It was 720 miles one way. I averaged 18.3 on the way down and 17.2 on the way back. There are a couple explanations... 1) was heading into a southerly wind the whole way down and northerly wind the whole way back (convenient...), and 2) the speed limits in Kansas and Texas were 75. So of course I was going 80. I am generally "the guy" who just goes 5 mph over the limit. Many more go faster, far fewer go slower... Just the speed alone killed my mileage a lot. I wasn't going to have a 10-hour trip take 12 though, so I paid for it in gas. :)

I'm still averaging around 16mpg and strictly using premium 91 octane fuel.
Doesn't help that I'm running winters, idling longer and our gas stations still filled with winter gas.
The best I can get out of a full tank is about 260 miles.

I'm now up to 2700 miles and averaging 18.6 in my 2016 Sport. As I get use to driving the Explorer MPG has slowly ticked up from 18.2 the week I got it to 18.6 today. I was running late to a meeting on Friday and drove a little more aggressive and it actually went from 18.5 up to 18.6.

I could easily stomp on the gas from every stop light and get 14-15mpg, but if you are semi easy on the gas (don't always have to downshift to speed up) you can easily average 18.5 or more driving 50/50 city/highway.

Also running 87 for the last couple tanks. Made no difference in MPG vs Premium. Actually has gone up as noted above.

Actually, driving to NC this weekend so I should be able to bump that MPG up a bit.

I will be doing 75-80 though so we will see.

10,000 Miles

After 5 months of ownership I have 10,450 miles and average between 17.0-17.5 MPG. That should improve slightly as the weather gets warmer and the ethanol mix changes.

I'm still averaging around 16mpg and strictly using premium 91 octane fuel.
Doesn't help that I'm running winters, idling longer and our gas stations still filled with winter gas.
The best I can get out of a full tank is about 260 miles.
I'm using Petro Canada 87 octane after finding no difference using the 91. On my last fill it read 324 miles to Empty. In 50/50 driving I'm averaging around 21.1 mpg (Imp) or 17.5 (U.S.). Also still using Winter gas and running Winter tires, until next week that is.

Peter

According to the trip computer I am averaging 20.3MPG and get 390 per fill up. I have 2k mileage and winter gas. When I calculate manually I am getting 20.6. So the trip computer is pretty accurate. I expect the mileage will go up with summer gas and more mileage on the vehicle. The F150 guys say it takes 5-10k miles before the engine is truly broken in...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the trip computer I am averaging 20.3MPG and get 390 per fill up. I have 2k mileage and winter gas. When I calculate manually I am getting 20.6. So the trip computer is pretty accurate. I expect the mileage will go up with summer gas and more mileage on the vehicle. The F150 guys say it takes 5-10k miles before the engine is truly broken in...
I've discovered that the vehicle's trip computer (ave mpg) isn't that accurate. In my post above, I initially reported I was getting 22mpg and 18.1 using my vehicle stats and revised them to 21.1 and 17.5 using the same info when I entered my fill up in www.fuelly.com. The average mpg shown in the display seems to be overly optimistic.

Peter

Back