Explorer Starting, Stalling problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Starting, Stalling problems

Ford13

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limitd
If anyone can offer any knowledge regarding this situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Purchased a brand new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 3.5l loaded with every option except rear DVD. Starting having problems around 860 miles, today at 1100 car broke down and stranded for 3 full hours waiting for roadside assistance. Tow truck driver could not start vehicle at all either. Dealer had vehicle for 4 hours and can not duplicate problem and says starts. Here is a list of problems over last 2 weeks:

-Vehicle would feel like it was stalling at low speed
-vehicle would not accelerate timely and would jolt
-went to pass vehicle on highway, my Explorer failed to accelerate and although there were still lights and accessory power, had to drift into breakdown lane. Lost all acceleration. As I was rolling in the breakdown lane, I touched the gas pedal again and it jolted and took off.
-next day, parked vehicle after driving for 10 min and came out 7 min later. Vehicle would not start for over 4 hours. It would keep trying but never turn over or even sound like it was catching. (Later started at dealer and dealer still is trying to duplicate the problem)

Other issues prior to stall:

-would not recognize key fob briefly even though in car and brand new
- my touch sync rebooted while driving the first week I had it.
-when my husband linked his phone to the vehicle it stopped working for both of us. Neither would work. Did system restart, only linked one phone and no issues so far.

I'm trying to find everything for info. I bought this vehicle for reliability and comfort and now I'm anxious and afraid of being stranded in the middle of no where. My worst fear is dealer can't duplicate problem and won't find out what's wrong. Any help, reference, direction how to handle, etc would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Ford13.:wavey:
I'm no mechanic so I'm only taking a guess here but it almost sounds like a fuel delivery problem for your first issue. These vehicles are loaded with so many electronic circuits/programs that it sometimes makes it difficult to pin a problem down. That's one reason I bought the ESP warranty.
Good luck. Perhaps another member may have a different idea.

Peter

Fuel system?

My vehicle is not listed on the recent fuel recall, but from reading , maybe you are right , it certainly seems like the fuel delivery. There was one complaint listed on NHTSA that I have found so far.

I had a sports car years ago that exhibited exactly the same problems. Changed the fuel filter and that fixed everything. Perhaps your EX has some trash in a fuel line or in the tank that's found its way into the filter. A possibility anyway.... and a cheap fix.

1. -schedule dealer service right away.

2. -check the Ford Owner link to see of your car is on the recall list for any reason,
but mainly due to fuel tank, fuel delivery valve, or fuel pump.

Ford Owner link

Enter your VIN to check your car.
If you register here (best to do so with the same email info you registered with the dealership for Sync, all your car info will appear in here once you log in, no need to enter your VIN.
- go to menu item "Service"
- go to Recall Notices-is your car listed here?
- (these recalls do apply to some 2013 Explorers)

-FYI you can only use 1 phone at a time with sync. So if you are both in the car, only the 1st phone that syncs upon entry, will operate with Sync for that drive, or you can unpair the 1st one and see if the 2nd one pairs.

(Not sure what happens when 2 previously synced phones enter the car at the same time except that only one will sync.)
:exp:

Thanks, just to reply to suggestions so far:

1. Car is at dealer still. Hoping they figure out something verse nothing at all. Otherwise I'm going to be stressed everything I take it out, waiting to breakdown.

2. Put my vin in, vehicle is not currently listed as part of recall. (Even though it seems like some type of fuel system issue)

3. Both phones were synced, we were both in the car, mine was set as primary. The system did not pick up either. Even when only I was in the vehicle. It then refused to repair with mine after I deleted it. So I did a master restore and was able to repair mine and it now works again.

Any idea how my vehicle health works? I'm wondering if the vehicle recorded my problems.

So frustrating, I otherwise LOVE my car. They gave me a Tahoe which is a heavy load of crap and smells like an ashtray. Oh we'll, glad I have a car at all, no nav sucks though.

Thanks again!

To generate vehicle health, go to
SyncMyRide
Register, or log in using info you gave to dealer for initial phone setup.

Put in the primary phone number, agree to all and once done,
you can run a report in the car with your primary phone paired.

If it acts up when trying to sync, dont do a master reset first, just delete the phone from Sync, delete Sync from your phone, try to pair again-it wont always work the 1st time, which is normal for Bluetooth on any phone.
...and check the phone compatibility list

In the car, with phone sync'd, go into MFT settings icon, find Vehicle Health report, and go thru it to generate.
It will dial out and post the report to your acct in the link above.

Just to update in case someone is experiencing the same problem. The dealer requested an inspection by a Ford engineer to properly diagnose the vehicle. Will post result once I hear back. Thanks for the responses so far.

Just a suggestion but I know there was a run of 2013 builds where there was a problem with the main connector between the engine compartment and the Instument Panel. (IP)

On the assembly line the dash is swung inside the vehicle installed all as one piece to the inside of the interior. One of the human interactions when this occurs is the assembly line worker has to reach in and ensure the wiring connector between the engine and the IP is snapped together.

There was an issue with this process that was identified with a batch of Police Interceptors which go down the same line as the retail Explorers.

This loose connector resulted in all sorts of weird problems until discovered.

Just a thought that this might explain such random electrical issues you are facing in such a new vehicle.

Thanks sgt1411

The Explorer is still at the dealer. But, I have requested they look into the connector as you suggested. I appreciate the info, they've put over 100 miles on my car trying to reproduce the breakdown, got it to do it once and they've been trying again since. I had to raise concern that at some point they need to stop putting unnecessary miles on the car since I've put barely any on myself .

We had the similar problem as you on our fully loaded 2013 Limited. It died one day just driving a block from the house. Restarted fine. Next day it started then died at the grocery store. They towed it to the dealer and were able to trace it the fuel pump electrical connector. I found another thread with similar problem.

The connector just need to be "clicked" together. That was it. Pass this on to your mechanics.

The Explorer is still at the dealer. But, I have requested they look into the connector as you suggested. I appreciate the info, they've put over 100 miles on my car trying to reproduce the breakdown, got it to do it once and they've been trying again since...

Hi Ford13.

I'd like to see how I can assist from this end. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Ashley

So here we are in October. They found one of the fuel connectors burnt from arching as a result of a bad connection. They jumped one of the pin connectors back in July and I was able to put 2,000+ miles on it without a problem ... Up until this past Thursday when the vehicle would start . It was towed in again to the dealer , they found the other
Fuel pump connector not plugged in all the way,
I took it back Sat. When I took it back I expressed my concerns and anxiety about getting stranded in the middle of no where , they said its fine even after I asked of they should double check.

Now it's Wednesday, not even a week later,
Wouldn't start , towed in again. And I'm in a ****ty rental for god knows how long. Called and opened another ticket with Ford customer
Relations. The right side LCD in the dash is faded and blurry, often flashes while driving which is distracting to say the least. Never mind having a brand new car with all of these
Problems. I just drive normal city/highway driving and don't know why the fuel pump connectors are having issues . Add to the list that the vehicle has
No real pickup at all.

Any suggestions ? I don't normally have anxiety but I'm afraid to drive anywhere with this car now because I'm afraid to get stuck or hurt from it randomly shutting down while on the highway .

Thanks !

I'm normally tolerant of issues with vehicles.. I understand that things happen, cars are run by computers these days. However, if I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at the lemon law. At this point, being broken down 3 times and having to be towed in.. days/weeks without your Ex.. I'd persue a replacement. I wouldn't hesitate getting a 2014 if Ford offered it via lemon law. Yours is the first that I've read on here with these types of issues and it just seems that you've got a gremlin that just won't leave.

2.0 Ecoboost

I have a 2012 with the 2.0 ecoboost that is giving me problems when starting and idling. Sometimes when I get in it to start it, it will crank for a few seconds longer than usual before it starts. Once it starts it sputters for a bit before going back to normal, or it will just die immediately after starting. It will also sputter/stall while sitting at a stop light or idling for a second or two. I was sitting in a drive thru when it died on me once before as well. It did this about a month ago for a couple of days, then ran fine. Now it's started doing it again today. No codes. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Throttle body?

Back