• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Won't Start

Villaness 17

Reaction score
City, State
Brigham City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2017 Explorer sport with 20,000+ miles on it. I went to start it (push button) and it would not turn over. The instrument cluster was working. No description of any problems. I had the key fob with me. It just wouldn't start. Very frustrating. Not that old of a vehicle and when you need to be somewhere soon, you rely on your vehicle to at least start and get you there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you put the keyfob in the keyfob slot inside the center console to see if it would start?

I have a 2017 Explorer sport with 20,000+ miles on it. I went to start it (push button) and it would turn over. The instrument cluster was working. No description of any problems. I had the key fob with me. It just wouldn't start. Very frustrating. Not that old of a vehicle and when you need to be somewhere soon, you rely on your vehicle to at least start and get you there.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
See page 165 of your Owner's Manual for the slot mentioned above. Have you tried starting it with the 2nd fob?

Peter

I just purchased a 2018 Explorer Platinum and the same thing happened to me with 2500 miles on the odometer. Tried the slot under the center armrest, used second key fob... nothing.

The previous day I had all the windows tinted and I figured the shop may have let the battery drain too far. So, I threw in a spare battery I had lying around and she started instantly. One trip to the auto parts store & new battery later, no more issues.

See page 165 of your Owner's Manual for the slot mentioned above. Have you tried starting it with the 2nd fob?

Peter
Yes I have. I opened the hood and wiggled the positive and negative battery cables. They were both tight. It started after that. No rhyme or reason.

Do you have a multimeter to test the battery voltage?

I just purchased a 2018 Explorer Platinum and the same thing happened to me with 2500 miles on the odometer. Tried the slot under the center armrest, used second key fob... nothing.

The previous day I had all the windows tinted and I figured the shop may have let the battery drain too far. So, I threw in a spare battery I had lying around and she started instantly. One trip to the auto parts store & new battery later, no more issues.
Curious as to why you didn't just charge the OEM battery? If it was just low, a charge should have brought it back to normal. If it was faulty, the dealer would have replaced it under warranty.

Peter

The battery in my 2016 Platinum failed with <15,000 mile and as Peter mentioned it was replaced by the Dealer under the warranty.

Happen to me 3 times, one of my battery lead was loose.
Not enough angry pixies where passing thru...

I had that same problem once on my 2016. I had parked it in the garage and then took a two week trip. When I got home and went to move it there was nothing. It looked like it was firing up as far as the lights on the dash but when I hit the start button there was nothing. I stuck the battery charger on it for the night and the next day I got the same thing.

Then the light bulb on the top of my head went on. I had not place the vehicle into Park when I had parked it. I shifted it into Park and she fired right up.

A little off topic but do you mind me asking how old you are

A little off topic but do you mind me asking how old you are

I'd say that I am older than most on the board here. You could say that I had a senior moment.;)

This Explorer is also just my second vehicle with a automatic transmission.

Same thing happened to me as well. I have a 17 Explorer LTD. The truck sat in the garage for two weeks. I went to get something from the back and I opened the tailgate from the fob. It opened and then I saw the interior lights flickering. So I knew something was wrong. I tried to start the truck and it wouldnt start. It would try to turn over but nothing. Its got 20k miles on it. I put the fob in the center console and tried to start. Still nothing. I tried to then jump it it with my other car. Still nothing. So then I called AAA service and they came and ran diagnostic on the battery and it was completely dead. The tech charged up the battery some. I borrowed a trickle charger from my neighbor and let it charge for a day straight. Now everything seems to be fine. I had a 15 Explorer LTD and it would sit in the garage for longer time and this never happened.

Curious as to why you didn't just charge the OEM battery? If it was just low, a charge should have brought it back to normal. If it was faulty, the dealer would have replaced it under warranty.

Peter

Over the years I’ve had really bad luck with batteries; and in my experience once a battery has been drained, it’s only a matter of time before it acts up again (usually within 6-8 months time) in this Miami climate. I also figured with a 2018 model that’s been sitting on the lot for awhile, the battery wasn’t maintained properly which would exacerbate another failure in the (relatively) near future.

So, the $150 for a new battery is worth the piece of mind that I won’t have to worry about my wife & kids getting stranded because of a battery for the next 2 years.

The slot in the console is for use if the fob's battery is weak or dead, not the vehicle's battery.

Peter

Back