Push button start isn’t responding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Push button start isn’t responding

Snowht

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Lake
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
2014 FORD EXPLORER WONT START. THE PUSH START BUTTON DOES NOT RESPOND AT ALL WHEN PUSHED NO ACC MODE DASH LIGHTS. THE REMOTE START DOES NOT WORK AS WELL. THE KEY FOB DOES LOCK AND UNLOCK THE TRUCK. I PLACED KEY INTO THE INSERT LOCATION TO BE SURE IT WASNT A DEAD FOB AS WELL. I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY FOR 15 MIN AS WELL WITH NO RESULTS. UNCLUDED IMAGE IS WHAT THE DASH DOES WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR BUT ONCE DOOR IS CLOSED IT GOES BACK TO BLACK SCREEN AFTER ABOUT 30 SECONDS AND REMAINS BLACK NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO THE START BUTTON.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I guess I’m screwed

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you had the battery checked? Are the terminals clean? Did you try to get it jump-started? With all the problems you listed, I would start by eliminating a bad battery before doing anything else.

Peter

Have you had the battery checked? Are the terminals clean? Did you try to get it jump-started? With all the problems you listed, I would start by eliminating a bad battery before doing anything else.

Peter
Brand new battery just installed today and I have the same issue, it’s like the push to start button isn’t working.

Well that should eliminate the battery. But the push to start button isn't required to turn the radio ON or to activate the garage door opener on the visor. You don't even need accessory mode to turn the radio ON, just its own power button. So if that isn't working then I think it is more than just an issue with the button.

Peter

Well that should eliminate the battery. But the push to start button isn't required to turn the radio ON or to activate the garage door opener on the visor. You don't even need accessory mode to turn the radio ON, just its own power button. So if that isn't working then I think it is more than just an issue with the button.

Peter
I agree, but where to start next?

I wonder if it could be a fuse, but which one? It would seem to be something that controls the power distribution to the vehicle's systems.
I don't recall another problem like this being posted about before. Perhaps you could start by checking the engine bay fuse box as that is the easiest to get at.

Peter

I wonder if it could be a fuse, but which one? It would seem to be something that controls the power distribution to the vehicle's systems.
I don't recall another problem like this being posted about before. Perhaps you could start by checking the engine bay fuse box as that is the easiest to get at.

Peter
what fues?

what fues?
Not sure. At this stage, I'd check them all. You can use the listing in the manual as a guide as to which you think it might be.
The engine bay usually has the higher amp fuses. It's all a guessing game now on my part. Hopefully, someone else will have an idea as to what the problem might be. Otherwise you may have to contact your dealership/

Peter

Get an OBD2 scan tool with ForScan or have it towed to a garage. Without any tools or way of testing electric modules wont get very far. Do the lights work? Power rear cargo door? What works and what doesn't beside the locks. And as mentioned, check all the fuses that's Pretty simple just pull them all and look for a broken one. Even with the new battery, try a booster or jump start.

Get an OBD2 scan tool with ForScan or have it towed to a garage. Without any tools or way of testing electric modules wont get very far. Do the lights work? Power rear cargo door? What works and what doesn't beside the locks. And as mentioned, check all the fuses that's Pretty simple just pull them all and look for a broken one. Even with the new battery, try a booster or jump start.
I’m having it towed to the house now, I’m being told it’s the BCM. I have lights, I have power lift gate just not locks or acc power when I hit the start/stop ignition button.

I’m having it towed to the house now, I’m being told it’s the BCM. I have lights, I have power lift gate just not locks or acc power when I hit the start/stop ignition button.
Had it towed to ford, they need extra days to
Look at it… $180 for diagnostics then they want $230 for extra diagnostics…

So is that $180 to push the button and then say It won't start and we need another $230 to find out why?

Peter

So is that $180 to push the button and then say It won't start and we need another $230 to find out why?

Peter

Peter
Hi my 2014 explorer is doing the exact same thing. Can you please let me know what the outcome was.

2014 FORD EXPLORER WONT START. THE PUSH START BUTTON DOES NOT RESPOND AT ALL WHEN PUSHED NO ACC MODE DASH LIGHTS. THE REMOTE START DOES NOT WORK AS WELL. THE KEY FOB DOES LOCK AND UNLOCK THE TRUCK. I PLACED KEY INTO THE INSERT LOCATION TO BE SURE IT WASNT A DEAD FOB AS WELL. I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY FOR 15 MIN AS WELL WITH NO RESULTS. UNCLUDED IMAGE IS WHAT THE DASH DOES WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR BUT ONCE DOOR IS CLOSED IT GOES BACK TO BLACK SCREEN AFTER ABOUT 30 SECONDS AND REMAINS BLACK NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO THE START BUTTON.

Thanks!
Better half just had this and I changed the batter in her FOB and it has worked perfectly since!
Best of luck!

Hi my 2014 explorer is doing the exact same thing. Can you please let me know what the outcome was.
FYI, the member was last seen here on February 7th so may no longer be following. Have you tried putting the keyfob in the backup slot to see if the vehicle will start? If it does, then the fob battery may be the reason as explained in the post above.

Peter
1668442517565.png

FYI, the member was last seen here on February 7th so may no longer be following. Have you tried putting the keyfob in the backup slot to see if the vehicle will start? If it does, then the fob battery may be the reason as explained in the post above.

Peter
View attachment 436420
Thank you so much for responding Peter. I replaced the key fob battery and place it in the backup slot. I have checked all fuses, had the battery tested, tried jump starting the vehicle, checked the starter and switch, swapped relays still nothing when pushing the start button. No lights on the dash or notifications. The starter relay can be heard clicking but nothing after that. Break lights work when I push the brakes. lights come on when I open the door but then turn off again. I did hae an issue with the climate on the passenger side for the last few months and the no key warning was on the last time I started it but then resolved itself and started. Now nothing when I push the start button. Just the relay click but no lights, seat does not auto adjust. Does not matter if I push the brake in or not.
Should I be starting a new post for help?

Looks like it could be an issue with the starter if the relay is activating but the starter is not doing anything. Are able to put it into accessory mode by pressing the ignition switch once without your foot on the brake.?

Peter

Looks like it could be an issue with the starter if the relay is activating but the starter is not doing anything. Are able to put it into accessory mode by pressing the ignition switch once without your foot on the brake.?

Peter
No accessory mode either. Does not even light up the dash or indication that the button has been pushed. I bypassed the relay and the starter is fine still turns over. Just doesn’t seem like the button is engaging even though it also seems fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dgn75
You stated: "I bypassed the relay and the starter is fine still turns over."
Did the engine turn over or just the starter engaged?
So many possibilities when it comes to electrical.
Since you seem to be responding I am certain that you are still having issues and haven't been successful with any attempts.

Back