Factory Plastic Liner Behind Door Speakers: To Leave or Not To Leave??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Plastic Liner Behind Door Speakers: To Leave or Not To Leave???

rpr

Reaction score
City, State
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
I had to mount 1/2" MDF adapters on top of the stock plastic speaker mounts to get enough room for my 6.5" Alpines to fit in the door panel. They still barely fit, and the rear of the magnets are maybe only 1/8" away from the metal door panel.

The speakers are really pushing against the stock thin plastic (somewhat stretchable) liner that exists over the door panel in this area. This thin liner is not flush against the metal door panel in this area, they kind of span the recessed metal in this area of the door. There is a perforation around this portion of the liner that will easily allow you to remove a 6"x8" section of this door liner.

Should I remove it? Is this 6"x8" section of the liner in this area necessary for acoustics or weatherproofing?

I removed mine when I dynamatted the panels and have had no problems. That was 1.5 years ago.

Personally, I would leave it. It is there to insure that no water or moisture reaches the door panel and speaker.. You may want to use a hairdryer or heatgun to heat the plastic up and then stretch it into the recessed area to allow for more space.

I went ahead and took mine off too, in leu of a future dynomat project. Its been off for a while, and i live in the most humid city in the nation, and i haven't noticed too mcuh moisture getting back there. You should be alright to getr rid of it.

Back