• Register Today It's free!

Factory sub question in a sport

ninety9sport

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell Jct., NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
did the second gen sports come with a factory sub or was that only for the 4 doors? i would like to get a sub for my sport but dont know what is involved. is the wiring harness already set for the sub or do i have to run wires to the sub? can i just get the sub enclosure and it would be plug and play? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am unsure on fitment, but save the headache of adding OEM wiring.

Easiest is to get the OEM enclosure, use aftermarket sub, and use aftermarket amp with a high-low converter.

OEM enclosure carved out to accept an 8" sub:
th_106_0684.jpg

Aftermarket amp under rear seat driver side:
th_V12_mounted.jpg

OEM enclosure mounted in a 1996 four-door:
th_106_0689.jpg

Alot more helpful info here in a thread by Joe Dirt
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292595

[MENTION=72514]Joe Dirt[/MENTION]

Some sports came with it, so they do fit.
If yours didn't come with it, you don't have the wiring for it.

The above post is correct.
But, if space isn't an issue, I'd recommend running your own box, not the stock one. It would sound much better.

thanks. yea i mean i dont want to have a box in the back because i use my cargo area a lot. idk ill up grade my stock speakers and see how they work out b4 i do a sub. i saw crutchfield has an aftermarket stock location box. anyone use those?

I have a JL stealth box with a kicker 10 inch CVX in my sport. Works and sounds great.

I have a JL stealth box with a kicker 10 inch CVX in my sport. Works and sounds great.

i checked out the site. they have some for 2002 and up. what part number did u get? is it mounted on the passenger or driver side?

I have no clue on a part number. I paid 15 bucks for it at a junk yard. I pulled it out of a explorer so I assume it was made for it. Anf yes it is mounted on the passenger side.

The Q-forms boxes that Crutchfield has are a pretty good option, especially if you want to fit a larger 10" sub, as they offer the enclosure with a 8" or 10" hole.

MTX audio also made a thunderform enclosure with a 10" as well.

mtx-explorer-91-1_size2.jpg

However, using a factory plastic/nylon sub box is a much more economical option, you can cut it out for an 8" as detailed above, then just get a small amp and decent sub and spend way less than what just a Q-forms box costs.

You can also just custom-made your own box from MDF and stick it in the factory location. Even easier with a shallow subwoofer.

The box cost $20- 2 sheets of 2x4 3/4" MDF from home depot @ $10 a sheet. It can be made from 1 sheet without mistakes...

PICS!

2012-05-18_15-51-44_379.jpg

2012-05-18_15-52-00_872.jpg

2012-05-17_15-20-44_171.jpg

Back