Fiberglass Fenders on 2nd Gen.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fiberglass Fenders on 2nd Gen..

Ive been thinking about getting some Perry's for my 98 Sport. They only make a 5" flare which isnt a big deal... for both fenders is around $365 shipped.

My question is has anyone done fibe fenders on a 2nd gen with molding like mine? I really dont want to take off my fender flares, especially in the rear because im only getting the fenders for the front to possibly fit 33's someday.

Also, my rear sits 1.5" higher than my front- so it'll look like it sits more even (thats not a concern really at all, just an added + )

Im open to all suggestions and comments here. To make an educated suggestion that pertains to my particular explorer you can see pics at www.cardomain.com/id/sk1er18 .... i have pictures in the elite photo gallery but i dont know if thats up and running yet.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yea, forgot to mention this for you select few out there (you know who you are :p )..

Yes, i can fit the 33's by upgrading to a 3" BL instead of my 2".

But the fibe fenders:
1) wont require any trimming
2) are much much easier to put on
3) yes more expensive- but the someday i can do the 3" and get 35's :bounce:
4) keep my CG lower- i like my trucks height where it is.
5) i can go on all day... you get the point

Yes, they're require trimming to look right.
They'll look good with the lift difference.
You'll be able to fit 35s later.

If you paint your rear moldings to match the body they'll look great with the front fenders.

Alec said:
Yes, they're require trimming to look right.
The fiberglass fenders will need trimming?

And painting the molding is a good idea.. but i was hoping that either perrys could gel coat them in black instead of white- or save a bunch of money and have them painted black for the time being.

My paint (copper red) is very hard and therefore expensive to match. So i just had this brilliant and different idea like 5 minutes ago: get the fenders in BLACK and get some of those Super Swamper tire track decals and angle them across so they'd run from the front/side of my hood, across the fender and to the bottom beginning of my front door...

The fenders, underlying plastic, and bumper need to be trimmed to look right. Fiberglass parts always need to be trimmed no matter how good they are. And you may want to hammer down the firewall pinchweld too.

All-in-all not a big deal though. You've probably already done most of it.

cool thanks for the info. i actually already trimmed a little of the plastic and hammered that pinch weld. It'll need a lot more after the fenders though.

I guess i gotta start calling around and find out the actually price difference to get the fenders painted to match or just black. I dont want to leave them white but i also can will be buying these with money saved up for tires so cant afford a $600 paint job.

If i can get the fenders black and do that super swamper idea i was talking about- should i consider getting that trim painted black too or just ride it out?

anyone good a photoshop ???? i could use some computer animation to help me out here :bounce:

EDIT: just made a phone call- its $25 more total to get them black instead of white... lol thats cheaper than the price id pay in a good spraypaint to make them black!

i maybe interested in your front fender flair's if you plan on selling them?

you'll be the first to get them . Ill PM you if everything goes through. Right now im gonna post in FSOT to see if theres interest in my fenders.

All this probably wont happen for at least a month unless someone jumps on my fenders... then its as soon as the wallet says go!

cool..thank's..hope it work's out!!

thanks, me too..

hey AK, since you're the king of opinions i gotta ask you- how does my idea sound for my truck? IE: the black fenders (to save money) with the super swamper tire track decals riding across it as described (in probably a dark grey)...

ill see if i can find a link to those decals..

I cost me about $40 to paint them right including sandpaper, primer, and clearcoat. But spraycans usually don't leave a nice gloss, that's the only thing. Besides that they looked great, at least as good as a cheapo Maaco job.

not my cup of tea..but it's your truck..so you can do whatever you want with it(and not have to hear other people say they don't like it)..your name is on the pink slip..so have at it..

again wish you all the luck

eh im used to people telling me they dont like this or dont like that. it doesnt get to me (as you could notice from all the "crap" on my X). I think im gonna try this and if i dont like it- then no harm done cause they'll need to be painted anyways. i think the decals were like $15 or $20 but i cant find the dang site now!

btw: whats the pink slip?

Alec: wasnt your truck black though? I just think my "odd" color would look worse if i tried to do the cheap way myself then just getting black and making it look "different" for the time being. They'll someday be painted to match... in a year when i dont have car payments :)

title

sk1er17 said:
oh yea... that pink slip....

LOL :) yeah..that pink slip

again..hope it work's out :) :thumbsup:

Those will Look awsome. Maybe paint the plaing black. Don't put anything on them. They'll look good, and also be accented.

whats your suggestion on the current molding and fender flares? paint them black or wait to see what it all looks like? thats the only confusing part right now.

and you're in PA.. know anyone who wants 2 stock fenders (and a free banged up one that someone could make a snorkel with)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back