• Register Today It's free!

Finally, to Paragon we go.

HIX

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda 4.0 4x4 SuperCab
A while back we discussed going to Paragon Off-road Park in Hazelton, Pa. We found it to be WAY too expensive for our tastes. Some good news. I am taking w/ the New Jersey Jeepers Culb who is holding a trail ride on the 24th of this month at..you guessed it, Paragon. They get a Huge discount and since the guide fees are spread among the group it is cheap for each truck. I talked to Dave who said that there is plenty of room left. Anyone for a little Sunday moutaintop service?

------------------
HIX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When will it be? I might be interested depending on the day and cost.

It is on the 24th of this month. It is 15-25 per vehicle. I will let you know more after I get a the details from dave at NJJC

------------------
HIX

"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Anyone else want to go to Paragon, or is it just me? I am going to the njjc club meeting on tues. and need to know if anyone else will attend. It will be a sunday trail ride w/ no vehicle limitations (stockers welcome).
Reply here or email me if ya want to attend.
It is THIS sunday.

------------------
HIX

http://members.xoom.com/hixhix/HIX/hixhomepage.html

Is it a go? When and were should we meet?

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

It's going on. When/where do ya want to meet? Did you get the email w/ the itinerary on it? If not let me know.

------------------
HIX

[This message has been edited by HIX (edited 10-22-1999).]

Well I have been planing to go all week. I couldn't wait. I would be able to see how my new headers performed and do some off-roading, but that isn't going to happen because me truck is sitting in my garage un-able to run. Count me in for next time.
Keith

Well we got back from Paragon w/ very little damage. We learned three things about wheeling w/ clubs as guests.

1.Make sure it's not a Jeep club.
You have no idea how many Ford jokes I heard bouncing around on the CB! I, of course, had to stick up for all that is right and good in the world and broadcast quite a few anti-jeep jokes in retaliation.

2.Don't believe them when they tell you they will split up into stock, modified, and super modified classes. It won't happen. We got there and initially split up into stock and modified. The stockers went off to parst un-known while us modifieds went into the Mini-rubicon. That's fine- the MR was a Blue rated trail. Not too hard. After MR our group met back up w/ the stockers. We headed for the base of the Eliminator a "Vehicle Damage For Sure Trail" At the base there is a trial to the left that is and I quote "lockers required, 33s or taller, At least one 8k winch per 5 trucks" Of course the trail leader never told us of this. He just proceeded to drive in and some of the smarter stockers said "NO WAY". Smart move. I however have never accused of being smart, and besides I have 33's so it's not like I'm stock. Let's just say that after seeing the two highly modified vehicles in front of me get severe trail damage I was happy just to get out. I scraped and banged my way thru the trail. Only got strapped once. Victory! I am the King of the rocks! I am the...um what's that noise coming from the front end, and why are my brakes so touchey?

3. Don't listen to the guy on the message board (me) who said the club would have the stockers do mild wheeling. Sorry bout that Scott--but look at it this way, those bent up running boards and the dent on the front bumper give your truck that "I actually go off-road" look.

Anyway, I had a good time and look forward to other runs, but not w/ that club eva-eva-eva again.

Scott, email me some of the pic and I will put em up on my homepage in the Paragon section.

------------------
HIX

Well as some of you mighta guessed I have a bone stock 98 Sport. And yes I did take it to Paragon with HIX. Its not the proudest moment of my life but I did make it out alive. (and in one piece even after the freeway exit mishap.) Unlike the poor fella that broke his Y bar thingy. As fer stock FORDS. I am very pleased. I did have a very hard time getting over the rocks. But I did do it. Very VERY slowly. But not slow enough as my stock nerf bars will show you. Other than that all is well.

I did take some pictures and will post them on my web sight for all to see.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

[This message has been edited by Eagle (edited 10-25-1999).]

Hey Scott, Hix,

Glad to see ya'll made it out relatively unscathed. And, I'm glad to see that you ran with those J**P people and showed them that they don't own the trail. They sometimes seem to have an attitude against all other makes. But that isn't all bad, they should be proud of their own machines like the rest of us.

Anyway, I'll probably be up for a run in the spring, as I've been itching to take the beast out somewhere. I'm a bit new at this, and mine's pretty stock at this point. I live in Ohio, so places in PA are highly likely on my list for dabbing into the off road scene.

Maybe an eastern Explorer run would be a possibility in the future, since there are at least a few of us willing to dabble in the dirt. It would be a good reason for me to get some decent 31's at least. Dead Link Removed

BTW, Scott, do you have the original Firestones or something else on yours? I've got a 99 Sport, with those "nerf" bars. I guess I'd rather dent one of those than the rocker panels, though they seem to cut down on ground clearance a bit.

Can't wait to see the pics.

------------------
Tom

Hello Tom,
Yep my sport is all original OEM equipment. Heck my ashtray isn’t even dirty. My 98 was a left over and has only been on the road for 3 months. Stock tires and nerf bars. You are right about the ground clearance. Without them I would have had better ground clearance and been able craw over more but everything that I did hit would have done extensive body damage. Without them I shutter to think what my rocker panels and doors would look like now. HIX can back me up on this. On some parts of the trail I dragged my truck over the rocks using the nerf bars as skis. It wasn’t a very pleasing sound. Or was that my teeth clenching?

Here is what I learned about my new STOCK truck.
1. Install a CB ASAP
2. Mount tow hooks front and rear.
3. Get better tires.
4. Replace stock nerf bars with side skid plates or a really hi quality step bar.
5. Disable the auto locking door mechanism when the truck is placed in drive.
6. With a little determination anything is possible.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
If your not flyin
Your not tryin

Back