PARAGON ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PARAGON !

Tank

Reaction score
this is for us east coasters ... i will keep posting what i know about upcoming trips to paragon adventure park ... here is a little report from my last trip there...

on saturday 8-19-00 we made a trip to paragon ... we had about 23 trucks with us and split up into two groups. the first group was for stockers and newbies and they stayed on easy trails ( if you have never been to paragon, easy trails are still quite challenging for stock or near stock) then the second group went on to do the first part of wampum rated 7. a fun but dificult trail. afterwards the group decided that they would rater watch me tackle a 10 rated trail than move on to wheel more... i made my way thru the trail with huge rocks, very off camber manuvering, and tight turns. i finaly worked my way to the end 10' from the road and had to make a choice...the easy way or the hard way... no contest ...the hard way it is ! this would be the biggest challenge i have ever faced the boulders were 4' high with sheer faces at the pinacle of the climb i would have one tire in the air and the other 3 on seperate stone pillars....it would be tricky .... i got into position and began the climb up the rock faces when there was a loud screaming whine from under the truck ....i emediately shut her down and jumped underneath ... it wasnt pretty ... my front drive shaft had twisted like a rag and bent, while spinning for those few seconds it left its mark... tore a big hole in the shroud over the flywheel and bent some of the linkages for the tranny... we had plenty of room so 3 of us climbed underneath and proceeded to turn the tank into the worlds only 2 wheel drive hummer...we dropped the drive shaft and bent the torn sheet metal away from the flywheel and got ready to winch her out ...it took 4 jeeps to do the job 2 each with 8k winches and 2 more strapped on for extra weight.. by this time there was a crowd of 50-60 people watching the fun ...... i am now shopping for a winch of my very own and having a beefier drive shaft made .... or maby 2 just to be safe ... i am hoping to be all done in a few weeks ......because

there is a trip to paragon ....not just a run but an event ... i will have the details sometime this week ...it is the weekend of sept. 29th ...i will keep you posted ..... any questions or comments please post them :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeeeouch!

That didn't sound good! Man, a 2wd Tank, you may have to change your name to half-track. :)

Sounds like you did put on quite a show, though. I wish I had been there to observe. Hopefully, you'll get things straightened out quickly. It's fortunate that nothing else got broken.

Looks like otherwise, you had a great time.

Keep us posted on any upcoming trips to Paragon. I still want to get out there once this year.

Copy Cat

So I take my truck to Paragon and twist my front end. Then you have to follow suit by bending you front end. Mmmm if you were jealous we could simple trade trucks. ;) I cannot wait to see the pictures. So when are ya come out west?

$$$

yeah im just trying to keep up with you eagle .....but um...... PLEASE dont break anything else ! ...i cant afford it ;)

well .... i had to do it .... it couldent be helped .... my truck isnt even back on the road yet and i dropped a ton of money i dont have .... i guess thats the nature of this sport ....but i am now the proud owner of a warn 12,000 pound winch .... i will have it in my hands tomorow and decided not to get the mounting kit ....im gonna make the mounting brackets and a custom bumper .... its gonna be sweet .... as long as i get all the fixes done the tank will debut its new front end on the paragon trip the 29th ....

now today i have to find someone to make me a "bulletproof" drive shaft.

"HELP" I have fallen and I can't get up.

How about all that spare titanium lying around. Just replace every part that breaks with that stuff and we can change you name to the million dollar man :D or Regis for short. (Is that your final answer.) So it wasn’t even 48 hours before you bought the winch. I knew you couldn’t wait. I know I couldn’t. Now I gots to get one. Ya know we have to keep up with the Joneses. I cannot wait to see this new front end. Are ya going to use aluminum or stainless?

aluminum ? whats that ?

hmmmmm how would a bumper made from a 6" diameter .5" wall titanium tube look ?

im going alloy steel all the way super high strength ...the mounting blocks im going to get heat treated to make the threads a little stronger... my first design for the bumper is 2" diameter alloy steel seamless tube. i cant design the part that goes around the winch till i get it in my hands and maby even mounted... im thinking a 1.25" diameter tube cage for it... i have 3 designs for the whole thing and have tossed the first 2 .... gonna keep revising it till its made ...... it will be atleast as sturdy as the beasts light weight bumper. :p ... im also looking into powder coating it ... my biggest design problem is i dont want to loose the shackle rings on the front so i have to be sure the design allows for them to be remounted at strong anchor points.

my winch

just a little added note ..... east coast performance in turnersville just got all my future business for anything i need for my truck .... they gave me the best price i found on the winch .... he showed me what the list is then the dealer list and tols me the normal discount he gets from his distributor is 10% off the dealer list ....he got the dealer to give him 15% and passed it on to me ...so my price was 5% under the dealer list !!! it was 20.00 cheaper than the best price i found on the net and i didnt have to pay shipping on top of it .....im a happy camper .... if it is possible give them your business they are great guys !

well i think im going to have to pack my stuff up now.

I been wanting to go to paragon but i always had the explorer apart now i am going to make sure she is ready for the trip .

jim ... what new do you have since the last trip ? did you get lockers yet ?

i got my pictures back ...not bad ...some good ones ....pictures never do a trail justice...

eagle ... i dont have your email addy ....send me a message so i have it ....

-well i got better tires (that was a must)

-Winch

-Got better, longer coil springs (instead of the superlift ones)

-did the Zimmerman mod to the rear leafs

-And i am having custom collapable shackels made.

-Lockers.. well i will prolly order them some time this week i am undecided to just get one for ther rear or get the front and rear locked up i prolly wont be able to sacrifice the $$$ to do both so prolly just the rear for now.

if you can ...definately do the rear .... save the front for when you are ready to beef up the steering likages and whatnot .... i havent heard much about doing so but when i was at paragon with b4w 3 trucks broke their linkages because of the extra stress you can put on them when you have front lockers.

hmmm prety interesting thanks for the info.

i will prolly go with a full time locker instead of a air locker

yeah ... i would only air-lock the front

im weighing the option of an electric fan or fans .... the mechanical fan moves much more air than an electric does... but you cant turn it off or adjust the thermostat .... one option i am concidering is one in front as a pusher and one behind .... i guess the biggest factor would be how much 2 would draw from the electrical system ..... anyone have any advice ?

Hi all--

I just posted some Paragon photos from the day Tank twisted his drive shaft. Mostly jeeps, but a Bronco or two.

It was a great day of driving, but sometime I want to go up and ride a do the digital photo thing seriously and go for some good shots.

Go to:

http://home.att.net/~poet4x/

and click the "go to Paragon" label (I have not got it linked to my other stuff yet...).

--metjeep (and two explorers...)

Hey Metjeep,

Didn't make the run, obviously. It's good to see that fun was had. I've been kind of talking with J91 and Karol about hitting some place called Central Park. Are you aware of the place? Paragon is still on my list of things to do.

See ya later

Oh yeah, Metjeep, tell Marsh great job on the write-up. :) Maybe I'll let him dig my Explorer out of the mud again. :D

HELP !!!

i NOW find out that there are 2 different warn 12k winches .... the m12000 and the mil-12000 .... i bought the m12000 ...the mil-12000 is made for the hummer ...its exactly like the m12000 but a little narrower so it will fit in between the frame rails ...... i have to unload this barand new in the box winch ...... i only want what i paid for it ....actually im rounding down ....

$1,100.00 and i will pay any shipping

its the warn m12000 ...12,000 lb winch , with 125' of 3/8 cable, hook, 12' remote, roller fairleads, hardware, manuals, warranty card, warn sticker, evrything ...

please help i cant buy the correct winch till i sell this one !!

yes paragon is in hazelton pa... it takes from 2-3 hrs from philly depending on traffic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sept 29 - oct 1

for anyone who has been to paragon you know this will be an AWESOME even (limited to 200 trucks) if you have never been to paragon ....it is a trip you DO NOT want to miss !!!!

ok heres the info

schedule
thurs 12:00-9:00pm registration at red ridge lake campground (570)384-4760
(this is the HQ for the event so if you stay somewhere else you will need to get to the camp to register and all rides and events start from there)

fri 7:00-9:00am check-in and breakfast
8:00-10:00 am rides start
6:00-8:00pm supper

sat same as fri except ...
6:30 raffle
7:00 dj

sun same as sat but nothing after the rides

cost is $68.00 per adult and $30.00 per child 6-12
this includes all event activities, 5 all you can eat meals and 1 raffle ticket

for more details and registration call 800-556-2801 or 704-236-7337

Back