Firestone Destination A/T - opinions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Firestone Destination A/T - opinions?

passed on Firestone Destination A/T - got Michelin LTX M/S instead

Well, I am second and third guessing my choice of Kumho Road Venture KL78. The Firestone Destination A/T had better ratings on Tirerack. I think I can talk the Discount Tire store manager to exchange the Kumhos for the Firestones, and I just have to pay the difference, that being $60 total.

Anybody got any input, or updated input, on these?

fs_destination_at_ci2_l.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Destination A/T is what they are handing out for the Wilderness A/T recall.

I just put over 900 miles on mine driving when I was on vacation. They gave me no problems

shamaal said:
Destination A/T is what they are handing out for the Wilderness A/T recall.

I heard that also. I have a couple wheel/tire combos for explorina, if they are still buying them for $200, otherwise, one of them is going to Firestone to get a free Destination A/T :D and maybe off to another Firestone to get another free Destination A/T :D

im a mechanic, and ive looked at the destination a/t's a little bit.... firestone is all my shop sells, they are great tires, you wont be upset if you get them!

Well, skipped all my choices and went with Michelin LTX M/S. Yes, they were alot more than I previously budgeted, but then I thought that the extra cost is like me working four days at work.

So far, them seem very good. Quiet. ALOT better ride. I am not noticing the "side to side" movement when hitting some bumps or whatnot.

mi_ltx_ms.jpg

Img2006-05-27_0008.jpg

I've had mine for about 10k and they've worked like a charmed. I was especially impressed with them in soft sand. I pulled out a RAM that got burried without a problem. :D

we run the LE's and MTs, as well as have a friend with the ATs. Very good line of tire.

Excellent choice with the LTX MS. Michelin makes a superb tire.

was just on tire-rack and saw they were on sale for a pretty damn good price.

also that New General Grabber AT 2 looks like a helluva nice tire and has great reviews

Definately a good choice so far. Road irregularities are ALOT less noticable. Quieter. Taking a 120 mile drive next weekend. I'll report back with some reviews.

I see that you live in a snowy climate... :thumbsup:

You'll be impressed in the winter too.

Snow and ice traction was definately something I was looking at on any of the tires I have been checking out. The Kumho 795's pry had the worst out of all the choices, but they were around $300 mounted, balanced, and tax. The Michelins were alot more than that :(

the destination a/t is basically a bridegstone dueller..... same technology, and a lot better technology than the older tires

I JUST noticed that you already decided on the Michelin's....

How the !@#$ did I miss that? Heh :confused:

Michelin is always a good choice tho. :D

Feedback after 250+ miles...

Great tire on my Explorer. Smoothed out the ride ALOT. Road irregularities are now just minor bumps instead of bone-jarring hits. Quiet on almost all of the road surfaces I was on.

I am satisfied with them. Pricey, yes, but driving used to be a chore, and now it is quite nice.

I'm thinking of getting these too but for a 3rd Gen. 255-65/17 size. - $700
Any updates?
How are they wearing?
How many miles??
Thanks for any input. . .

I hated my Destination ATs, couldn't wait to get rid of them. 2 of the sidewalls delaminated... firestone wouldn't cover it. wear was horrible, less than 30 k.
replaced with bridgestones... much better. would never by the destinations again.

u should try

The Avon Ranger Tyre. They are on tirerack.com and really are a great tire. (they are actually Cooper tires as Avon owns Cooper or so ive been told) I had the firestone wilderness tires untill 2001 then got the goodyear wranglers. They were ok tires but bumps really were too bouncy and rough. The Avons really damper out those big bumps and are really good in the rain. For around 450 bucks u can get em shipped to your house then take the money u saved and go buy a nice new flip up stereo for you ex! I have about 15,000 miles on them now and they still look brand new!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Much better choice with the LTX/MS. I had a set with over 80k miles on them and were still going strong when I sold that Explorer.
I also had a set of the Firestones, WORST tires I've ever had ...CRAP! I read that same report from TIre Rack, and based my purchase on that. THat was about the last time I've trusted Tire Rack for anything.
Replace the Firestones with Potenzas ... much better tire, but still not as good as the LTX/MS

Back