First Explorer for me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Explorer for me

Bought this about a month ago. Finally got some time for pics. Love this truck. Still new to having a 4x4. Learned to drive in a mustang and had driven it for 4 years before it was taken from me (mother nature sucks). Anyways wanted to be able to get out in snow and possibly be able to offroad some. Lucky for me after I got this I figured out it has the off road package :D. Daily driver and I'm a college student without a job so mods will be few and far between before I find a job and get the loan paid off.

On to the pics :thumbsup:

IMG_6716.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

After new tires Toyo Open Country AT's:
IMG_6724.jpg

Exhaust: Cherry Bomb Vortex Muffler welded in stock postion, all cats in place.
th_MVI_6776.jpg

Proof of NBX status:
IMG_6769.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice x u got there

Thank you very much

Nice Ex! Welcome! :wavey:

Nice looking third gen, how many miles?? and welcome :)

Just under 104k miles.

I won't! The tires are sort of a win-win situation. I have to have new tires (mine are literally almost flat). So I'll be replacing a necessity and upgrading the actual tires at the same time. I want to go with more aggressive than what's already on there (when they were new). And I will possibly go ahead and jump up a size larger, since its the same price as the size I currently have (stock).

i think the largest you can go without a lift are 31", check in the tire/wheel section for confirmation on that. look into some wrangler duratracs. a lot of members run them including me and i am a believer. if those might be out of your price range, there are plenty of other brands to go with. try discounttiredirect.com and do a search using the price range you are working with. make sure if you want more aggressive tread patterns that you narrow down to AT's or mud tires. good luck and post if you have any questions.

Going up one size from stock would put the tires at 30.5in, which will be as big as I can get without doing a lift of some sort.. It'll have to be AT's cause I need them to be decent on pavement. My Dad has Toyo Open Countries on his F250 and they seem to do real well on pavement and snow, he doesn't get off road much otherwise. I'll have to check about the Duratracs price wise, since I have heard nothing but good about them.

Just as an fyi, I LOVE my Faulken Rocky Mountains, only tires that can pull in the mud and ride like a street tire down the road. :thumbsup:

Got the new tires today. 245/70-17. Decided to go with the Toyo Open Countries. They look a lot better, and ride a lot smoother than the old bald ones I had on there. :D

I'll get some pics up in a little while.

Updated with new tire pics

Coulda went up to a 265/65r17 or 265/70r17, sorry I just found this...lol a little late now but oh well. Nice looking ex though. Once you start modding you won't be able to stop lol

I don't want to sound stupid asking this but... After doing some more research on my Ex I believe it's actually an NBX. Because the color wasn't offered on the XLT sports, and the fact that in '03 they didn't change the badge from XLT to NBX. I know it's not a major deal, and that it's missing the roof rack :( .

Does anyone think my hypothesis is correct?

It has been a while since I posted on my registry, going to update the first post with my exhuast sound vid and some other pics.

Back