First "Off Road" Experience - Sierra Buttes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First "Off Road" Experience - Sierra Buttes

BRacing

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
What a weekend it was. I spent the weekend in the Sierra Buttes outside of Downievielle, CA. I went with my MTB team to go for a few rides and socialize with the new members. But the local OHV trails were beckoning me to take my new '96 Sport out.

Saturday evening was the perfect time to take it out. After a bike ride, i took a few friends in the X out to the fire road. We decreased the air pressure from 45 to 35 psi in hopes of better traction.

The 96 Sport is bone-stock. It has a 5-Speed with a 3.08 open rear end, and only has 2wd. The slowest i can go is about 12mph, so it will not "crawl" over anything. It rolls on the 15" wheels and stock-sized goodyears that are over 50% worn. This is NOT an off-road vehicle, and i knew that. But i figured fire roads wouldn't be challenging.

We wanted to drive up to the summit of the Sierra Buttes where there is a fire lookout at 8587 feet elevation. So we started out on the fire roads and began our journey around 5pm.

The first fire roads were not at all challanging, as we passed a minivan and other trucks. At the Y, we turned towards the summit and the fire road became a bit rougher.

The trails were rough and dry, very slippery and dusty. I tried to keep the speed to a minimum to keep the dust down, and drove up the trail at about 15-20mph.

At the next Y, we turned towards the summit (again) and a sign greeted us with, "Short Wheelbase - High Clearance Recommended". I figured I'm a couple inches shorter than the typical X, and continued up the trail.

Immediately, we encountered a steep section, with deep holes staggered in each tires path. My first attempt only dug the holes deeper, as my tires switched back and forth digging holes into the dry dirt. I remembered that momentum is the key to clearing a section like this, so i backed up and tried it again.

Gaining speed, my passangers gripped the "Oh Sh*t" bars as we hit the holes. The tires clawed from side to side, the RPMs fluctuating from the spinning tires. Somehow, we managed to make it to the top... of this section.

Inspired with confidence and feeling quite invinceable, we continued up the trail, encoutering many more sections like the previous one. The trail continued to get steeper, and the sections more treacherous. After about 1 mile on this road, we decided to call it quits. I pulled off the trail and we hiked up to the fire lookout, only 3 miles from where we left my explorer.

On our way down we watched motorcycles crash in the loose soil that we were hiking. I realized that i probably shouldn't have tried to drive this trail, and was lucky to make it as far as i did. We drove down, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The ABS seemed to want to kick in as the truck would slide through some sections.

We made it back to camp about 4 hours later, having watched the sun set from one of the highest peaks in California. The truck was VERY dusty/dirty, but went unscathed.

I bought the X to tow the trailer for my race car. But now it seems that i'll have yet another hobby as i prepare to purchase 265/75R16's, as well as 3.73's and a Lock Rite.

The whole time all of us were kicking ourselves, as none of us had thought to bring a camera.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like somebody got bitten by the 4x4 bug...or at least the prerunner with a locker bug :) wow dropped pressure to 35? that is what i run on the street...i keep 15 psi on the trails....

duh?

i have no idea what a "prerunner with a locker" is?
Is that 2wd with a locker?

Yea, i dropped them to 35, i run 45 on the highways to help me achieve my 28mpg average. I don't know how low i could safely go without risking poping the bead off the rim. you say 15psi?

45 PSI!!! WOW!

I have a 97 Sport, with the Stock 16" Rims, and 265/75/r16 BFG AT ko's. I run them with 32-35 psi, and then for the trails I run them around 15-20 psi. I also have 4:10 gears, and Factory Limited Slip. Oh yeah It also has 4x4.

If you have any questions, feel free and E-mail me or PM me.

BR, under 20 psi is where you'll start to get benefits from airing down. And if your rear swaybar is connected, disconnect it while offroad. That will really help in the 'staggered holes'.

Thanks!

I appreciate the advice.

I look forward to the modifications in the coming months. Hopefully i'll have it finished next summer.

Where can i get a "quick disconnect" for my rear sway bar?

Thanks again!
-Brad

leebo has ones from warrior... do a search for leebo as usernamea and warrior in subject

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by BRacing
I appreciate the advice.

I look forward to the modifications in the coming months. Hopefully i'll have it finished next summer.

Where can i get a "quick disconnect" for my rear sway bar?

Thanks again!
-Brad

I just made some Quick Disconnects for my rear sway bar. They were easy to make. I am in the process of writing up what i did and what i used for parts. I will post it tomorrow(wednesday).

Even if you don't have swaybar disconnects, disconnecting them only takes 10 minutes at the most if you've done it before.. Do it in your driveway once though to know what you're doing. You might need to flip the front swaybar bolts over for easier removal.

I made it through Moab on badly worn stock Goodyears, at stock height, with 2wd and 3.27s. Though I have the supercharger which helped with torque, and an Eaton posi in the rear-end. Splat made it through with a few light scratches, some dust, and a flat tire.

Congrats!

Edit: I had my tires at 22 psi (run 35 on the street) and the swaybars still connected.

Back