• Register Today It's free!

Fix or sell, or fix and sell?

greenblinker

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04
I have an 04 explorer that i've done my best to baby. I was driving on the freeway with a little less than 65,000 miles on the odometer when I heard a loud boom from the engine compartment and then preceded to stall out. The preliminary report from my mechanic is that I may have broken both timing chains... I think. I'm probably giving you guys the Tim Taylor version here but I believe that if its just the front chain he can fix that for 900 or so without having to pull the motor. If its the rear or both he said I had might as well replace the motor. I want to love this truck but it keeps getting harder. I've sunk lots of money in this truck in the past year getting a new radiator and new harmonic balancer as well as new gas tank guts. As I don't know much about cars I am completely lost here. Do i fix it and drive it considering I still owe 5k on it. Do I get it fixed and then sell it. Or do i just outright sell it and take the hit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hm, lately from what I hear, those newer 3rd gens are problem childs, id probably sell it and buy a 2nd gen :p

(95-01)

Hm, lately from what I hear, those newer 3rd gens are problem childs, id probably sell it and buy a 2nd gen :p

(95-01)

All cars have their issues, and the 3rd gens aren't bad except for the 2002's.

Personally i'd fix it and keep driving it.

the '04 isn't a bad truck it hate to throw something like that away esp if you owe 5k

why did you replace the harmonic balancer? if your where getting vibs, it might have been those chains?

you live in monroe, which isn't far from a couple of junkyards around me that had several '04 explorers (last time i was there) V6s and V8s. I bet you could pick one up fairly cheap right now with the way the economy is around here. . .if you have someone would to swap it for you. . also too i'd see what Mi motor exch would do for you and how much.

My 2002 Explorer with 60,000+ miles has been problem free ever since the day it left the factory! And I abuse it on and off road, but do all the preventative maintenances as well. I believe that these SOHC are interference engines, so your valves and pistons might have become good friends.

If the damage isn't too bad I would fix it. The advice of your mechanic seems to be sound.

the '04 isn't a bad truck it hate to throw something like that away esp if you owe 5k

why did you replace the harmonic balancer? if your where getting vibs, it might have been those chains?

you live in monroe, which isn't far from a couple of junkyards around me that had several '04 explorers (last time i was there) V6s and V8s. I bet you could pick one up fairly cheap right now with the way the economy is around here. . .if you have someone would to swap it for you. . also too i'd see what Mi motor exch would do for you and how much.

I know the 04' in general isn't a bad truck, but I just feel really sour about mine. As for the harmonic balancer, I had a real bad shake so I took it too the dealer and they said that it was cracked. They fixed it and everything was peachy for a little while. I'm in the process of calling Michigan Motor Exchange as well as a few others.

ya i know how you feel.
local yards American and Import on metroparkway, Monroe auto salvage have Ex not sure about the status of the motor's, i was pulling body parts.

Not fixing it and selling you will take more of a hit because you market will be smaller.

Fix it and then cut it loose, you don't have to tell any buyers about this unless they ask. Price it right and it'll go quick.

Right now i'm leaning towards fix it and sell it. I also want to say thanks for everyone's input. I've got a place that I know does good work, I'm just waiting on them to get an explorer engine in. So... does anyone want to buy an 04 explorer lol.

you should get a 4th gen as the replacement

All cars have their issues, and the 3rd gens aren't bad except for the 2002's.

Personally i'd fix it and keep driving it.

Oh, I don't know about that - my 2002 has had very few repairs and never stranded me in over 7 years and 100K miles. Also looks brand new.

Nonetheless, that's some bad luck for the OP - hope it turns out okay.

What surprises me here is that there were no precursors, or at least none were mentioned. I have heard of timing chain issues on these, but have always heard that you can hear them coming in advance when the timing chain starts getting noisy prior to failure.

Oh, I don't know about that - my 2002 has had very few repairs and never stranded me in over 7 years and 100K miles. Also looks brand new.

Nonetheless, that's some bad luck for the OP - hope it turns out okay.

What surprises me here is that there were no precursors, or at least none were mentioned. I have heard of timing chain issues on these, but have always heard that you can hear them coming in advance when the timing chain starts getting noisy prior to failure.

Based on the number of known issues with the 2002's it is considered the worst year for 3rd gens.

Fix it and keep it. First strike is you are still owe on it, second strike is the current economic situation and third stike is it's an "evil SUV" :rolleyes:

We have an '04 XLT Sport V8 that has 120k on the clock and so far the only issues have been a ring/pinion out back and this year the A/C doesn't work. We are taking it in next week for it's 100k work (plugs, PCV, tranny flush and fuel filter). I'll worry about the A/C later this summer as time and $$ allow.

So far, I can't complain about it and I'm glad every day that we got a 4.6 instead of the 4.slow. I've heard nothing good about the 4.0 and it gets the same MPG as the V8.

Based on the number of known issues with the 2002's it is considered the worst year for 3rd gens.

Just not by all ;) Mine is actually way more reliable than my '97.:thumbsup:

And I do mean WAY more.

Yea i love my 04 4.6L too.......but honestly if the timing chain went, i'd be looking for a trade SOON.......

Although i did own a car once, it blew a timing chain....never had a problem with it after that......so it's hard to tell.

Mechanically, you probably have nothing to worry about....however there's really no way to tell for sure.

You said you still owe money on this SUV right?

If you got evidence that this truck might be a problem child, its USUALLY worth it just to get her fixed, goto a dealership and do a trade.....you'll probably end up eating alittlebit of the value....plus you're still going to have to stack on whatever you still owe from the old vehicle ontop of the NEW vehicle you're getting.

(i had to do this with a CHEVY once.....BEST decision of my life! Yea i lost quite a bit of money on the trade, but it was COMPLETELY worth it in order to get a newer more reliable vehicle....a FORD.)

So you need to weigh out the pros and cons.......

I know once i get some solid work lined up im going to trade my mountaineer in....i love it to death but I want to get another mustang,haha.

Back