• Register Today It's free!

Flat black rattle can?

energie

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Anyone paint their explorer with just some flat black paint in a spray can? got pictures of it? how does it turn out?
i have the stock grey paint but the clear coat peeled all on the roof and **** and it looks horrible so i like the look of flat black and gloss paint out of a can is iffy so can i get some pics?
and yes there is google btu i wanted your opinion who did it.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's going to look horrible with spray-bomb flat. At least use satin black (not flat) - satin is semi-gloss. Any spray-bomb deal will show spray marks. If you paint it satin with a gun and do it right, it may look ok.

check out blacksheep josh's truck i think he did that to his .personally i'm going with rhino liner on the wheel wells and the side ground effects.maybe the bumpers to but not the bumper trim.

Forget the spray bomb, get a gallon of rustoleum and the short white foam roller and roll it on.

I didn't do my truck correctly. I had it taped up, and the clear sanded off of it. Was just going to paint over my stock paint (just with clear removed). The places I took my time came out all right, but is by no means perfect. I tried a few different ways of doing it, from rustoleum flat black rolled on, to the same paint thinned out. To be honest using walmart rattle cans was the easiest, but I ended up having an emergency, and spray painted the entire truck in about 2 hours using about 20 cans.

I got a bunch of dust and pollen in the paint, and it still rubs off some, like black sand. But it's turned out all right to be honest, I think if I took my time in a clean environment, and went back and wetsanded with a fine grit, it'll look all right.

azezom.jpg

You can see it's very spotty, and I did the "roll on method" along the front two fenders and hood cause I was drunk by that point... didn't thin it out at all, it's caked up a lot, you can see the roller strokes. But I still think if you take your time, it'll turn out decent. I'm going to redo most of it in teh coming months, but I'm going to do one section at a time.

Edit: Only half the hatch is painted fully, and on the doors where it looks darker then other spots is where I got to close.

Sorry to keep posting/hogging it up. But I wanted to put one more thought down. I've been thinking about sanding all the black off that I can, and using black spray primer. It builds up and sprays easily, plus after a while it kinda gels and builds a little shine so it's not completely black. Just a thought I've been having.

20 cans x $6 per can = $120

Add $170 more and you can get the MAACO special. I know a lot of guys here knock Maaco down because they keep comparing it to other PROFESSIONAL paint job. Of course you can't compare it. Doh! $3000 vs $300. But for the price, you are getting helluva lot. I mean paint alone cost $300. I think its way better than doing it yourself with rattle can paint with no paint booth.

20 cans x $6 per can = $120

If you use the expensive spray paint.

I used on sale .86 cent a can paint. I spent:

Paint = $17.20 (if we're speaking of just rattle can)
Newspaper = $1.25 (it was sunday and I wanted the comics)
Masking tape was about 5 bucks.

Plus paint thinner, random cloths, beer, sandpaper.

I didn't spend over 100 dollars though, I think if I went back and took my time, it'd look all right.

Main thing is prep work definitely, and having a clean place to do it.

Seriously, you are throwing money away spray bombing flat paint. The roller method is proven. :)

I used on sale .86 cent a can paint.
Whoa! 0.86 cents! :eek:
Josh, I think your truck would look sooo much better with just black primer and wet sanding it afterwards. It would minimize the spotty shade that it has now.

Preping is a *****. :(

the previous owner of the bronco i had said he just used a rattle can and sprayed it, and it looked pretty decent

now dont mind the rest of it, it was only $800 (cdn) so its fine.

IMG_0055.jpg

i honestly didnt think there would be any problems, do bit by bit on a clear summer day and hope nothing gets in it, do a few layers, if you overlap, itsfine, its ####ing flat black, it'll blend in. but maybe not

Whoa! 0.86 cents! :eek:
Josh, I think your truck would look sooo much better with just black primer and wet sanding it afterwards. It would minimize the spotty shade that it has now.

Preping is a *****. :(

Yeah, that's the plan now. I used grey primer before my second wreck when i was prepping to respray one fender the deep green color it was before, and primer is so easy to work with.

I think I'm just going to sand it all pretty good and rough, and use some black primer and wetsand it some and LEAVE IT.

I don't mind it now, but I just wish I had the time and money to finish it the way I need to.

Just a thought. I saw a 2nd gen on this site that was completely covered in Bedliner. This would cost a little more, but would hold up for ever.:thumbsup:

It would, but are you sure you want to cover your truck with that stuff? It's pretty much permanent...

Maybe mix it up a little, I've thought about doing the running board and the lower few inches in bedliner to protect it from rocks and all

I sprayed mine with a $10 air sprayer from HF, and used Rusoleum;)

JP_Truck_Side.jpg

the exact thing hapened to me too, grey rig and the paint started chippin. I sanded it pretty crappy then put on black primer, then the flat black enamel. find the cans w/ the strait spray, not the round spray, or it would turn out ****ty.

6847f360d3.jpg

mind the hood, my engine was hot, but yeah thats how it trned out, i like it

from what I understand to get a good long lasting "murdered out" or "rat rod" look it takes a quality paint job with a satin clear coat over a black base coat. the rhino lined black truck is a "zapv" search it, we are a whole group. I myself have herculined the roof rack, bumpers, and plastics on the sides of my ZAPV X. I will do the bottom few inches with it later. I need to find a way to get the rubberized undercoating off first. doesn't seem to come off as easy as it did. the other option I see for a flat paint job is to buy a black X and never wash it. that's what I do.....

but the real question should be ..." how do the zombies feel about the paint " i hear they are particular when it comes to paint jobs :D lol ......

...like that x ....cool concept....

i like the herculiner look and i think that a sport with the side flares and half black on the doors would look good .

does that stuff require much prep work for it to cling on there ( sanding) or is it a epoxy based paint that will basiclly glue it's self anywhere it's put ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i sprayed the hood and the left front fender. my paint is wrecked, when i bought it, the clear coat peeled and **** so even though i sprayed this in the winter, whats the worst that can happen? it peels off? i was bored lol anyway.ill do the rest some other day.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Back