Flatbed, rollcage phase 2 project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flatbed, rollcage phase 2 project

A little more progress:

Fender bars installed
DSCN1719.JPG

Gas filler
DSCN1722.JPG

X-brace
DSCN1728.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome fab skills. Very nice job on your truck so far. :thumbsup:

Looks good man. I like the welds with Hobart in the back ground, looks like the one i've got too. What size tubing you using on the cage?

very nice, so is this going to tie into a cab cage?

i agree, nice work. anyone wanna make me finish my sas? haha

it must come from within

The tube is 2" x .120 wall HREW. Not as strong as 2" x .120 wall DOM, but by the numbers the final product will be strong enough to support an upside down truck.

I will be doing an exo cage around the cab. My plan is to put a halo over the cab, have bars follow the A-pillars and go into the front fenders and tie into the rock sliders. There will also be bars running under the front fenders tying the A-pillar bars to the stinger on the front bumper and stiffing up the whole package.

you got a sweet ass idea man! cant wait to see it finshed

Ranger Digger said:
The tube is 2" x .120 wall HREW. Not as strong as 2" x .120 wall DOM, but by the numbers the final product will be strong enough to support an upside down truck.

I will be doing an exo cage around the cab. My plan is to put a halo over the cab, have bars follow the A-pillars and go into the front fenders and tie into the rock sliders. There will also be bars running under the front fenders tying the A-pillar bars to the stinger on the front bumper and stiffing up the whole package.

my plan as well, but mine is farther down the road. Awsome fab skills, can i ask what your background is?

sn0border88 said:
my plan as well, but mine is farther down the road. Awsome fab skills, can i ask what your background is?

Well I've been turning wrenches and tearing stuff apart since about 6 years old. I worked for my grandfather in his shop for 3 years fixing cars. After that I went to college and became the student director for the university's dirt track racing team. While I was there I taught myself to weld and started fabbing. My buddy and I started tearing into our trucks, doing axle swaps, gear setups, tranny swaps, etc, etc. After graduating with my Mech Engineering degree I moved to Colorado and started working for this company.
rockymountain_colorado_thm.jpg

Sweet

I have a few buddies here in town who are into this stuff as well, lots of Fords and crazy projects.

let me know if you want to get together some time and talk shop :)

Nearly done...

Unpainted
IMG_1799.jpg

Final Mockup
IMG_1801.jpg

Bedliner paint
IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

Installed
IMG_1811.jpg

Still need to wire and install the bed floor

Bad Azz!!!!!!!!!

Looks really nice, I like the gas filler holder.
Do you plan to tie it into a frame a bit more? A bit more traingulation?

Please forgive me the cages I am used to seeing being built online these days are for race trucks and desert terrain, so the topic of overkill, shearing tubes, triangulation, etc are discussed alot. I know most of us 4x4 guys just need to protect the passenger compartment in case of a "flop" more then a end over end 3 times roll....so I am just curious if you plan to beef that sucker up a bit more or just focus on the passenger cabin?

Excellent execution and layout so far!

so awsome, that really is amazing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

real nice work!
kinda making me want to cut the back off of my truck and start on a cage. :confused:

Back