• Register Today It's free!

Ford 8.8 Shaft Spline Count

CarFreak146

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
Hey all, its been a LONG while since i've posted b/c I got rid of my Explorer about 6 months ago, but I have a quick question.

I have two 8.8s, a 94 out of my Explorer, and a 91 out of a 2dr parts Explorer I had, and I have a gentleman interested in buying both of them, but he seems to think that they are 28 splines like the Ranger, and while i've told him that the Explorer rear ends are 31s, he still wants proof. I don't have time to pull the shafts out of both of them to prove that they're 31, and quite frankly I'm startin to doubt myself here...... so I just wanna clearify...

ALL 91-94 Explorers, whether they're 2dr or 4dr have 31spline 8.8 rear ends correct?? I'd rahter just prove to him that they've got them than tear them down to take pictures when its 19* outside. thanks guys..... pictures would be awesome too!

Thanks,
Ryan

Yes, ALL 8.8 Explorer rears are 31 spline with a 7/8" cross shaft.

Yes, ALL 8.8 Explorer rears are 31 spline with a 7/8" cross shaft.

Not entirely 100% correct! There were some early production '91 Explorers that came with 28 spline 8.8's. They aren't very common so the chances of getting one is very slim, but they do exist.

Not entirely 100% correct! There were some early production '91 Explorers that came with 28 spline 8.8's. They aren't very common so the chances of getting one is very slim, but they do exist.

Must have been VERY early production models. I've never seen one or heard of one with it in. Heard rumors and heresay that they existed, but have never come across one or found someone that said "yes, I've got one".

Back