Ford Explorer 2002 Won’t Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2002 Won’t Start

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2002 XLS
Hey all, I’m new to this forum and don’t know much about vehicles and was hoping for some help with my 2002 explorer.

It is unable to start or even turnover after charging the battery or jump starting. Moreover, there now is a weird noise that is coming from the vehicle when the keys aren’t even in the truck, so much so that we removed a fuse for the alarm to turn off the noise. The best way I could describe the video is the clicking noise that the blinker makes (I would put the video here but it doesn’t seem like the forum supports the video size that my video is).

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any more details are needed, just let me know :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grab a multimeter and check the battery voltage if that doesn't work.

Sounds good, I will look into doing that. I cleaned it earlier with a wire brush and got some of the corrosion off. Is there a recommended cleaning method for this kind of thing, I see some methods online but wonder what you would recommend
Low voltage will cause relays to start clicking on or off. Clean battery terminals, check cables

I've always used baking soda and water paste, the more it foams, the better. work it in with brush, rinse off with water, rinsing everything below also. Rinse everything real good. A few times so no residue stays behind

A good strong 12 v , 12.5 v is a good battery voltage. Once the engine is running, if the alternator is charging you should see close to or slightly over 14 v. 13.9 is kinda low but might be normal.

Back