FordBeast98's SAS in progress! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FordBeast98's SAS in progress!

Front:
-'79 Bronco HP Dana 44
-4.88's(open for now)
-Warn Manual hubs
-Trying to reuse all the bronco front suspension

Rear:
-'79 Ford 9"
-going to convert to disk
-4.88's(really 4.86 but close enough)
-Mini-spool
I finially got sick of the IFS(Independent Fu*ked suspension) I was tired of the no-flex and wanted something a little beefer.

When i get done im going to run the 35's for a while and im going to run some 37'MTR's when i get the money.Also i will finailly! be swapping in my 1354.

First off i say this wouldnt be possible without my friend morris. He is helping me do this and i really appreciate it.(thanks man).

So far i have the the rear sprung over and i am in the process of dissasembling the front.The gears are being installed and my axles are being rebuilt as i speak. I will post more pics as soon as i get them and keep you all updated. Here is one that i could get of the d44. More pics will be up later tonight hopefully.Feel free to ask questions as i will.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 970

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FordBeast98 said:
jamest- Its already been done :D . You cant beat the traction of it but its like wrestling with a monkey to steer. I unlock a hub and it helps a little, Im probably going to save up and get a powertrax or a detroit. I love that mini spool in the rear, but the tires dont :smoke:
Dont bother. Just redneck ram it (hydro assist). Cheaper than a locker. :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

matt already has massive forearms.... just not from steering his truck. :nono:

and no he doesnt have bad negavtive arch due to axle wrap or anything like that... it has something to do with backing up and ramming that shackle into a rock hard enough to bend the leaf springs. :burnout:

ok we went out wheeling with it last night and flexed it like crazy.... it has massive flex. Im on 35's with 3" SL and 3" BL and i am pretty sure he could park on my hood without lifting a tire.

nissanboy said:
ok we went out wheeling with it last night and flexed it like crazy.... it has massive flex. Im on 35's with 3" SL and 3" BL and i am pretty sure he could park on my hood without lifting a tire.

True Dat :p

Here are some pics of my buckets

Attachments

• Dcp_0001a.jpg
    Dcp_0001a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 634
  • Dcp_0002a.jpg
    Dcp_0002a.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 610
  • Dcp_0005a.jpg
    Dcp_0005a.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 610

!!!!!!!!!!!

What power steering box is that exactly? I scanned the thread and didn't see a mention of it...maybe I missed it.

I'm guessing you've got the 4 Liter engine? I'm trying to figure out what steering box is going to give me the least grief since the V8 eats up all the space under there.

I could do an oil filter relocation, but I like the way that box sits outside the rail, I'm just wondering if it'll fit with my AC pump that's right inside and above the rail.

Do you have any pics of it from underneath? Or just more pics?

Thanks!

Its a saginaw box from a 79 bronco. It should work for u on the outside of the frame rail. I believe my ac pump is right where yours is too. The only really challenging thing is to get the stock steering shaft to work. I beleive we shortened mine and welded the old r&p connection to the bronco box so the shaft would work. I have only one problem from that setup though, the rubber boot on the shaft rubs on my brakelines in there. Ill get some more pics today,

Matt

Sweet! I was looking at the Saginaw from the 99 Grand Cherokee, it sits on top of the frame rail, but I like the way yours fits in there...did you sleeve the frame?

FYI the old 4x4 F150 box is the same as the 78-79 Bronco.

sweet!

I like those skinny 38s. Those are sweet.

Did you use uncut coil buckets from that 79 bronco?

I'd do something about those brake lines if i was you.. they're not safe other wise looks pretty good.

Doug said:
I'd do something about those brake lines if i was you.. they're not safe other wise looks pretty good.

Got any suggestions? THe only thing i can think of would be to snugg it up against the frame a little more. Im not really driving it much right now, saving up for a tow rig and i get the occasional friend to tow me to wheeling spots.

Matt

Did you get my PM about the Rivet Gun? I hope you got the windows in.

FordBeast98 said:
Got any suggestions? THe only thing i can think of would be to snugg it up against the frame a little more. Im not really driving it much right now, saving up for a tow rig and i get the occasional friend to tow me to wheeling spots.

Matt

Why do you tow it? Not street legal where you are?

did the ps pump bolt right on mine just took a dump

brnbomr said:
did the ps pump bolt right on mine just took a dump

If you are asking so you'll know if yours just bolts up, then yes it has 3 half inch bolts.

Trckmagic-I already got them in, ill get some pics up in a bit.

cdsl227- Im going this morning to a place called delk performance to get a custom chip burned and then it will be street legal

matt

What did you do for a speedo pick-up when you switched to the 9"?

no thats not what i am saying sorry. what i ment was like beast98's i need a larger pump pump. i can fab it so it will stay on but do the hoses hook up to the stock parts on the engin? and how hard is this upgrade. do you think a 93 f350 pump will work the same?

brnbomr said:
no thats not what i am saying sorry. what i ment was like beast98's i need a larger pump pump. i can fab it so it will stay on but do the hoses hook up to the stock parts on the engin? and how hard is this upgrade. do you think a 93 f350 pump will work the same?

That's my fault, for some reason i was thinking steering box, sorry!

I'd imagine that you could get any pump to work if you could mount it. But you'd have to have it almost perfectly lined up so that the pulley spun straight for the belt. You may have to get new hoses made, but then again i don't know what connections it would have.

Back