Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well took the explorer out wheeling for the last time with it current setup yesterday. Not too much damage. Just typical stuff. Another window, more body damage, and another axles. Broke the short inner passenger side this time. A buddy of mine went along in his Sammi he just got the the first time. It will be unstoppable with some gears and lockers.

Was trying to go up a slick ass hill in 2wd and about made it to the top on the second try and it started sliding back down and got little bit off to the side and slide right back into a tree. Busted out the rear window and bent up the hatch a little.

Here is a few pics.

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

Little bit high centered here.
IMAG0211.jpg

Hooked the winch up to a tree and started winching it off and damn near pulled the tree down on top of the explorer. Let off and it stood back up so moved on back to the next bigger tree and winched it off.

Video my buddy got in a little mud hole. Watch the front tires the second time I hit it and you can see them come off the ground a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sv1BjhNkCM

Going to start tearing it apart this coming weekend so stay tuned.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Damn man you are wheelin the sh*% out of that thing. :thumbsup:

Got some work done last night. No more body lift, no more slider, and no more suspension. Stay tuned for more later tonight. About to head back down and start working again.

35's with no body lift or slider.
IMAG0219.jpg

Hows this for suspension travel. lol
IMAG0222.jpg

Beams are all bent up and cracked.
IMAG0220.jpg

Pivot bushings? What pivot bushings?
IMAG0223.jpg

How I left it for then night.
IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

I'd be up for another Uwharrie get together, but my schedule is already pretty packed.

I can't wait to see your SAS done, and how much harder you're going to beat on it :). What axles are you using?

That's a good looking Sami. Is it a convertible or tin top that someone cut off?

what are you doing with the gears and lockers from the 8.8 and d35

what are you doing with the gears and lockers from the 8.8 and d35

It will all be for sale. Lift, lockers, wheels, and gears.

You might want to check the whole thread next time before asking a question that has already been answered. The OP would probably like to keep HIS thread on track.

On another note. :drool: I would like to have that kind of droop on my truck. :D

sweeeeet. im lookin forward to seeing this beast this month

I'd be up for another Uwharrie get together, but my schedule is already pretty packed.

I can't wait to see your SAS done, and how much harder you're going to beat on it :). What axles are you using?

That's a good looking Sami. Is it a convertible or tin top that someone cut off?

We definitely need to meet up again at Uwharrie this time. Had a blast last year.

Only have stock axles now. Good set of chromo axles are definitely in my future though.

Pretty sure the sami was a convertible cause it has a soft top. Not real sure to be honest with you. Its a 91 or 92 with the FI motor. Thats the one were going to put the D44's under.

Didnt get as much done as I had hope to yesterday. Had to run get my wheels changed out and a couple other things. Going to try to get it as a roller today. Only thing left to drill hole for are the radius arm mounts.

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

Ran into some issue with the driver shock tower. It wants to occupy the same space as the clutch master cylinder. Has to notch the top corner out. Going to go back and plate the notch and gusset the inner corner.
IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

Lowered it down to get a idea of how it will be.
IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

No 8.8
IMAG0234.jpg

9" Hanging(pinion angle not set)
IMAG0240.jpg

About to head back down in a little bit and get back to work.

looks good so far , can't wait to see it standing on it's own :thumbsup:

sweet build so far....giving me ideas for mine.

Back