Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well its on its on weight. Still got to put the brakes on shocks on, finish weld everything and driveshafts and I can drive it. Then going to swap in the doubler.

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

For anybody looking for some decent drill bits the Hitachi black gold bits from Lowes are damn good. I drilled like 25 1/2" holes in the frame this weekend and a bunch of them were drilling through double plated frame and used the same bit on every single one. Bought 2 and thought I might even need more but just used one. Just use lots of cutting oil.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That is one sick Explorer. Very nice work, man.

what size tires are those? 37s would rub with that lift kit,no body lift and no trimming wouldnt they?

He is running 35 BFG KM2's.
He just did a solid axle swap :thumbsup: and took his lift kit and the 3 inch body lift out.

what size tires are those? 37s would rub with that lift kit,no body lift and no trimming wouldnt they?

Where I placed the axle they would rub. Wouldnt have to trim a lot though.

You could slide the axles forward some more but then you would get coil bow and the track bar may contact the motor cross member and little stuff like that.

Where I placed the axles all the steering angles clear, track bar tucks up in the channel in the engine crossmember perfect, and coils are nice and straight.

Little trimming aint going to hurt anything anyway. lol

would duff be willing to work with me in modifying it to push it forward? hell maybe make me some longer coils
i just dont like the look of it. theres some ive seen that turned out good, but most just look wrong.
how much did the duff parts come to(if you bought everything new, from them)?

Have you taken your Ex up to Boone before? I swear I have seen a very similar 1st gen like that a couple times..

Well its driveable.

IMAG0257.jpg

Rear brake setup.
IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

Drove it out of the shop and had to flex it out a little.

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

Drove it back to the house to do a little log crawling. lol
IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

Going to try to get the doubler together this week and try to get it stuck in this week.

That is nuts! Good job on it.

haha you better make sure you don't break your steering before you take it out on the trails for the first time. Looks great.

looks good can't wait to see it hit the mud:D

You are the macgyver of explorers, this thread has made me want to go off roading in mine. :D

Did the poor mans high steer aka moved the tie rod otk. Also got some poly bushings that go in place of the dust boots on the tre's to stop the tie rod roll. Fixed the slight dead spot it had in the steering.

IMAG0278.jpg

Has to put the stock pitman arm back on to keep the drag link and track bar angles the same. Hows this for geometry? Looks pretty close to me. lol

IMAG0277.jpg

Been driving it daily. Rides like a cadillac now. I am very pleased with it. Nice and firm, no bump steer what so ever, doesnt sway, and tracks straight as an arrow.

Also picked up the Vision X led rock lights brand new still in the box for a killer deal so I said what the hell. Why not.

IMAG0276.jpg

Made up some little brackets to mount all the lights just a little bit ago and going to try to get them all put on tomorrow.

Back