• Register Today It's free!

Front diff fill plug....

Darrman

Reaction score
City, State
Waxahachie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
I thought I would change the fluids in the axles last month, so I went and bought a pump, couple gallons of oil, and RTV, and a new rear gasket. Well I know the rear is a pain in the ass, but this front one has me stumped.
I cannot get this damn thing to break loose, I have put open ends, box ends, cheaters and pipe wrenches, and tried the torch, nothing. I have soaked it in PB, and wd40, nothing. I am trying not to round off the edges, but I am.
So, is there any trick to getting this thing off? I even got desperate and looked for a socket or something that would fit the square plug.
It is not rusty either, I think its just the locktite holding it.
Please help! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never touched the TTB axle on the first generation Explorers (91-94) but if the fill plug is on the differential cover, try removing the cover so you can spray some PB or Wd40 on the other side. If everything fails and the plug still wont come off, you can always just replace the cover.. SummitRacing has a Trans Depot diff cover for $35.00: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294891995+4294895110+115&autoview=sku

Another solution if the plug still doesnt come off and you dont want to spend $35 + shipping on a new diff cover is to put your own drain plug on the cover. They are very simple to install .. looks like this one from Summit:
sum-g1380_w.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G1380&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Unfortunatly, that wont work, the ttb beam is the front of the diff, and the filler plug is in that. the gears and housing bolts up to the beam with a silicone seal. I wish their was a seperate cover like the rear. This is another one of Fords genuise ideas.

IZwack said:
I've never touched the TTB axle on the first generation Explorers (91-94) but if the fill plug is on the differential cover, try removing the cover so you can spray some PB or Wd40 on the other side. If everything fails and the plug still wont come off, you can always just replace the cover..

Well, atleast you know hes not lying.

Ya theres no way to remove the front cover unless you pull the suspension apart, but you could just pop the pumpkin out and spray it there or you could try gently heating around the plug. That should break it loose. An easy way to get the pumpkin out is to notch the rad arm where the bolt slides out and then it should just come out with the other cover bolts. but before I went and did that I would heat it.

However if you want to easily get the oil and sludge out just remove the diff and then you can really clean it well.

didnt someone put a plug like what IZwackietabbki was talking about, on the ttb beam to make somewhat of a drain plug?

are you all on crack? the drain plug is on the beam :confused:

I'm having the same problem of not being able to get the plug out. I just want to check the level so no need to tear it all apart.
Haven't tried heating it yet, and am worried to heat with all that oil and such on the housing.
Darrman...did you ever get it out?

That's a pretty heavy duty bolt and the housing as well, so I would just PB blaster it and get a nice big crescent wrench and wrench it off, If you careful you won't strip the square bolt head.. last resort would be heat, that should do it as well but changing out the fluid afterwards is an obvious necesity....

Nope, I got so ticked I just said the hell with it and forgot about it. I am hoping to do a gear change this summer and will change the fluid then.

get an 8 point socket. they'll work on the square head on the plug.

An 8 point socket with a breaker bar works well to get the torque on it. Usually a huge crescent wrench does the trick, though.

If you've mangled the plug so much that a wrench is no longer an option, your best bet might be to weld a thick bar/rod/something to the plug, and either use a pipe as leverage, or bang on it with a BFH unti it spins.

One tool that I absolutely love is the vice grip pictured below.. You clamp it on a fastener with lots of force and not damage it. You can slip a length of pipe over the end to give you good leverage

18205Vice_grip_too_-med.jpg

Back