• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter

nazcardan

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Not sure where correct place to post this but here goes... our 96 Explorer has alittle over 130K miles on it and I am pretty sure the fuel filter has not been changed since we bought 4 years ago... I bought the replacement FRAM fuel filter for this year and model however it appears that this set up isnt going to work... my thinkin is that the filter on the vehicle is a Ford part... maybe even original? not sure... and WalMart does not carry Motorcraft fuel filters... (just oil filters and oil)

My question now becomes... can I use the FRAM filter that I already own... and if so HOW do I make it fit... OR do I have to buy a Motorcraft fuel filter to replace the old one that's probably past needing to be replaced...

any advice is much appreciated thanks

Does the filter on your truck have two inlets (from the tank) and one outlet or is it one inlet and one outlet? In either case, you have to get the right style replacement.

If you live in an area that salt is used in the winter heavily like I do, you will need a lot of (pre-soaking) with WD-40 or some kind of penetrating oil. My filter was so rusted to the line that I ended up breaking the nylon line. Knowing what I know now, I would have taken it somewhere and had it done and saved myself the headache. Mine looked like it had never been changed and it had 97k on it when I bought it.

You will also need a set of compression fitting release tools, mine are called "air conditioning line tools" on the package.

Back