• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter failure

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
Has anyone had problems with a fuel filter (fram) failing on their explorer?

I was having issues that that were pointing to the engine being starving for fuel. I had replace the fuel filter for the first time about 2-3 months ago. After chasing a few other things I replaced it again last night.

When I got it off it, the element inside was rattleing around. So I opened it up with some tin snips. The element is closed at one end and the other end was supposed to be attached to the inlet. The fuel then is forced inside of the element and then thru the filter paper and then out the outlet.

In my case the element had come loose from the end and was floating around. I believe that the fuel pressure was forcing it forward against the outlet end and blocking off the fuel.

starts and runs like a champ with the new filter.

Anyone else seen a fuel filter fail this way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fram = Cardboard garbage. Nothing Fram will ever touch any of my vehicles.

Fram = Cardboard garbage. Nothing Fram will ever touch any of my vehicles.

That's how I've felt about their oil filters since about the 1980's. But the car parts place only stocked one type of fuel filter so it was that or nothing.

Steve

Yup, sounds like Fram. I think I've only used one Fram filter, and that was because the guys at WalMart stuck one on my old 2003 when I was in Texas. When I got home to Michigan I pulled it off. I don't trust their stuff at all...

That's how I've felt about their oil filters since about the 1980's. But the car parts place only stocked one type of fuel filter so it was that or nothing.

Steve

Your better off running whatever filter is on your vehicle to begin with for 300k+ miles before putting a fram on.

www.wixfilters.com www.amsoil.com (amsoil sells wix stuff)

Wix makes some awesome stuff filter wise.

Yeah Honeywell engineers,what do they know. :rolleyes:

Back