Fuel Pump Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Question

GeorgeH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 XLT 4WD 4.6 V-8
Any way to forecast a fuel pump failure?

I've got a 2006 4.6 xlt; Just wondering whether there is a need to change the fuel pump as a preventive maintenance item.

Just wanted some thoughts on that. If its working good, whats the chance of a replacement failing unexpectedly instead?

In other words, would I be any better off changing it before failure?

Just looking for opinions/discussion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuel pressure hot and cold
If it's up to spec don't mess with it

Wow, what timing. A co-worker just this past weekend replaced a loud but working fuel pump on his Tahoe. Took him several hours start to finish. Installed a brand spanking new GM unit, put everything back together to find.... the replacement was dead. Right out of the box.

He put the old one back in and swears if/when it goes out he is trading the truck in.

I'll echo the above - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have been planning to do it as a preventive maintenance for the past few years, never got around to it.
Still running OEM pump that was installed in 2005 at the factory at 271 k miles, I am reading close to 40 psi on the rail.

When mine failed, there was zero warning. I was just lucky is failed about a 100 yards from my driveway

just keep the system flowing as freely as possible with a new filter and never run it totally out of gas

I've had 2 fail - one in a 06 Explorer (not the Explorer I have now) and one in a Taurus - both parked at home and completely without any noticed warning.

Back