• Register Today It's free!

fuse 17 blowing

biswrest

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Looking for a little help on the 2003 mountianeer fuse 17 keeps blowing. I checked the wiring on the drivers side door and it all seemed intact. Not sure where to look from here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the owners manual is correct and we are on the same fuse block, fuse 17 is basically for all interior lamps, battery saver, and the delayed accessories.

First thing to do would be pulling out all the lamps on the interior and seeing if you can track down the ground to make sure they are in tact.

Thanks Nate, I should have included the interior lights work do work when the fuse blows. I am at the point where the fuse blows immediately. When the fuse blows, the radio, power windows, visor, and garage door opener don't work. Would I still look for the ground running to the lights first?

Ah alright, thats a lot more help. I had almost the same issue and it turned out to be my visors.

I pulled off the visors and the wires seemed intact. I also pulled out the stereo and unplugged it I put the 15 amp circuit breaker in the fuse box and it kept breaking. I need to pin point it down which run of wire is causing the problem. I am thinking I will try to look up the wiring diagram and start unplugging items that are not working.

I pulled off the visors and the wires seemed intact. I also pulled out the stereo and unplugged it I put the 15 amp circuit breaker in the fuse box and it kept breaking. I need to pin point it down which run of wire is causing the problem. I am thinking I will try to look up the wiring diagram and start unplugging items that are not working.

That's really the best way to go about it. Does the fuse blow as soon as you put it in, or when you open the door?

Well, when i put the fuse in, it blows. However the drivers side door is always open when I put the fuse in.

My fuse always blew as soon as the door was opened. Thats why I was asking

Let me try and walk you through the wiring diagram (Haynes) to the best of my ability. Fuse 17 powers the Accessory Delay relay (windows, radio, etc.) and the Courtesy Lighting. It is expected when 17 blows you lose the loads you describe.

On the Courtesy side, the first thing powered is the Battery Saver Relay. It is controlled by an instrument cluster microprocessor. When it is picked up, power is supplied to Vanity Mirror Lights, Map Lights(2), Homelink (garage door) and glovebox light. The power for the puddle lamps and interior lamp (overhead with map lights) is powered separately from the microprocessor. This explains why you still have some lights when the fuse blows.

So, the problem can either be in:

Battery Saver Relay (central junction box)
Glove Box light
Map Lights (2)
Homelink Module
Vanity Mirror lights

Check your lamps then go for the relay. See where that gets you. Good luck!

Fordfool2 thanks for the comments am I approaching this right to pull of the lights and look for bad wires. For the visors I pulled them down and was only able to see like three inches of wire to look at. Or can I unplug the lights somewhere further up the circuit?

I would pull the lights listed in the post. I have replaced both of my visors and there is a 2 pin connector up above the headliner. If you are careful, you should be able to gently pull the wire down to expose that connector and pull it through the hole. Once all the lights are out/disconnected, then replace the fuse. If it does not blow, then put the bulbs in one by one testing them. On the other hand, if the fuse blows right away again, then it is either the battery saver relay, the accessory delay relay, or wiring.

Awesome thanks nate and ford fool 2 it was a bad wire in drivers side visor right next to the connection. I did not pull it down far enough yesterday. The wire was was chammed into a metal piece and was a bare wire. It made my day to find the problem thanks to you two!

Glad to hear you found the issue! :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it's fixed. Appreciate that you posted back to what you found so that others can look there if they run into the same issue.

Back