Gears for larger tires??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gears for larger tires???

I have a '98 XLT AWD 5.0, I'm about to put 31 10.5's on and have read that there will be a significant performance loss. My question is, should replace the front and rear gears to compensate and if so to what. If you know what can help me, or a thread, pls advise. Btw, thanks to those who suggested the helper springs.....sure beat $180 for new leafs...

For 31's? Hell no. The difference in performance between 31's and stock will be negligible. With that V8, you'll hardly notice it. Once you get into the 33-35" tire range, gears are a necessity. Also, have you priced gears/installation? It's over $1000 for both axles. Not something you just want to jump into.

j602 said:
For 31's? Hell no. The difference in performance between 31's and stock will be negligible. With that V8, you'll hardly notice it. Once you get into the 33-35" tire range, gears are a necessity. Also, have you priced gears/installation? It's over $1000 for both axles. Not something you just want to jump into.

He said it beautifully!

-Drew

i didn't notice much power loss at all when i first switched to 31's from stock. i added a mac intake, gibson exhaust, and best of all and apten chip and it moves like a champ. i also think it rides better with 31's also :thumbsup:

Back