Getting a NEW ford ranger!!! quick question!... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting a NEW ford ranger!!! quick question!...

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Okay, so i'm going to get a new Ford Ranger, not sure if it's going to be a 07, 08, or 09, but i know it's going to be this for sure:

2 Wheel Drive
extended cab
inlien 4 cylinder engine
5 speed manual

my MAIN question is this... online/dealership is saying the rear gears will be 4.10 gears, is this good or bad? my 93 explorer has 3.73 i believe. (stock, sorry if the number is wrong).

just wondering what the difference in gears are... i know it has something to do with amount of revolutions/speed/acceleration, but just wondering if i should look at replacing the 4.10 with something else down the road.

and in case it makes any difference, i plan on making it a sport truck, most likely putting some 18/19 inch rims on it, lowering a tad, and just cruising.

-josh

p.s. - i posted this in the ranger forum, cause it concerns a ranger, instead of the gearing area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No gearing doesn't really matter for cruising

No gearing doesn't really matter for cruising

would it affect gas mileage at all? i read online that the 4cyl5spd gets about 21 or so, would a different gear setup make it higher?

this is the main reason for getting a ranger, it's a truck, yet still gets great mileage (by my standards.. .anything over 20 is good to me)

would it affect gas mileage at all? i read online that the 4cyl5spd gets about 21 or so, would a different gear setup make it higher?

this is the main reason for getting a ranger, it's a truck, yet still gets great mileage (by my standards.. .anything over 20 is good to me)
Well yes it will affect the gas mileage -- but you cant exactly compare it to that 4cy5spd because you dont know what the gear ratio of that truck is

Well yes it will affect the gas mileage -- but you cant exactly compare it to that 4cy5spd because you dont know what the gear ratio of that truck is

this is true.

what type of gearing would yield the best mileage? and will it make a bunch of difference? if it's only going to change maybe 1/2 mpg, forget about it.

but if we're talking 3-5 mpg, i think it'd be worth changing...

this is true.

what type of gearing would yield the best mileage? and will it make a bunch of difference? if it's only going to change maybe 1/2 mpg, forget about it.

but if we're talking 3-5 mpg, i think it'd be worth changing...
Excluding driving habits, gearing and the MPG you get out of it depends on the terrain (hilly, flat, city, highway) and tire diameter.

4.10 does seem a little high but it depends again on the tire diameter that it has, but then again, it might need that high ratio to counter the somewhat smaller engine.

4.10s come with the 4 cyl engine to compensate for less cc's. 2300 vs. 4000)
I would stick with them, unless you go to a larger diameter tire.

x2 ^^ most of us X owners would jump for if they didn't limit the 4.10 to a very few handfull of explorers...because then you could keep when you jump to say ooohhhh 33's

x2 ^^ most of us X owners would jump for if they didn't limit the 4.10 to a very few handfull of explorers...because then you could keep when you jump to say ooohhhh 33's

nope! don't think so! lol. this is gonna be a smooth cruisin truck. no big offroad tires for me. i'm wanting to get some rims for the truck and create a "show truck".

might as well have some fun with it.

i'm going to go the other way on my explorer though. gonna do a 4 wheel drive conversion (headache i know), murder it out (faded black), and lift the heck out of it.

i'm just excited about this!!! first BRAND NEW CAR! AND WITH A FAMILY DISCOUNT!!!

i love the explorer, but it's just costing more and more as time goes on. i'm going to keep it, but it'll be nice to have a good reliable commuter truck, adn then a play toy

-joshua

...my 2.3L came stock w/ 5 speed and 4.10's....;)...my milage is in the link in my signature...:D

My old '96 was a S-Cab 4cly,5 speed. But it had 3.73's from the factory. She got high 20's on the higway;)....before I lifted it:(

...my 2.3L came stock w/ 5 speed and 4.10's....;)...my milage is in the link in my signature...:D

My old '96 was a S-Cab 4cly,5 speed. But it had 3.73's from the factory. She got high 20's on the higway;)....before I lifted it:(

Tbar, thanks!

Stic, that's exactly what i'm wanting to hear, loln

Okay, so i'm going to get a new Ford Ranger, not sure if it's going to be a 07, 08, or 09, but i know it's going to be this for sure:

2 Wheel Drive
extended cab
inlien 4 cylinder engine
5 speed manual

my MAIN question is this... online/dealership is saying the rear gears will be 4.10 gears, is this good or bad? my 93 explorer has 3.73 i believe. (stock, sorry if the number is wrong).

just wondering what the difference in gears are... i know it has something to do with amount of revolutions/speed/acceleration, but just wondering if i should look at replacing the 4.10 with something else down the road.

and in case it makes any difference, i plan on making it a sport truck, most likely putting some 18/19 inch rims on it, lowering a tad, and just cruising.

-josh

p.s. - i posted this in the ranger forum, cause it concerns a ranger, instead of the gearing area.

My 2007 Reg Cab XLT, 2.3L, 5sp man gets 31mpg with plain gasoline. It has 3.73's. The 5spd has a very tall 5th gear. I personally would rather have 4.10's as it would make low-speed manuevering easier. But for cruising the 3.73 ratio is fine.

My stated mpg is based on plain gasoline and 55-60mph highway cruising. It drops to 29mpg at 70-75mph.

When using E10, my mpg drops from 31 down to 27. The ranger doesn't do well with E10. If you live in an area that mandates ethanol blends you might check into other trucks that do better with it.

Back