Got Stranded Today... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got Stranded Today...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another T-stat housing?

OE or aftermarket replacement lower t-stat housing failed? (Dorman, Four Seasons, Gates, etc.)

Why not go with a permanent fix with a aluminum housing

The plastic ones really ARE horseshit, not because of the plastic entirely though. They are made in two halves and basically gasketed heat-glued together by the factory. We had a big brou-haha on this awhile back, most claimed it was not made in two pieces. See below.

^ @imp
Couldn't agree more. Plastic t-stat housing seams are almost always the failure point(s).

Ford offered a replacement aluminum single sensor housing, although it may now be discontinued.

motorcraft rt-1220 - Google Search

cheap plastic - that is the Fix Or Repair Daily mentality. If you can buy a cast metal , replacement get it.
I got stranded today too, that is in yesterday, and the weird thing is that all the forum threads that come up in the search are then saying thread does nto exist. What's up with that?

My stranded is no reverse on a 05 trany rebuilt at way too much cost back in march, grinding ratchet sound, sorry for the hijack, anyone else can't get to a thread we know is real? I tried looking for HELP at the main page, how do you contact the explorer forum moderator? and yes, I'm logged in aren't I.

cheap plastic - that is the Fix Or Repair Daily mentality. If you can buy a cast metal , replacement get it.
I got stranded today too, that is in yesterday, and the weird thing is that all the forum threads that come up in the search are then saying thread does nto exist. What's up with that?

My stranded is no reverse on a 05 trany rebuilt at way too much cost back in march, grinding ratchet sound, sorry for the hijack, anyone else can't get to a thread we know is real? I tried looking for HELP at the main page, how do you contact the explorer forum moderator? and yes, I'm logged in aren't I.
@Rick I ran into the issue of it saying the threads did not exist as well the last time I tried searching for something I know did exist.

The biggest fault of the old housings was the sensor mounts(threads). Most failures ten years ago were at the sensors, either leaking there to start with, or after working around the area and disturbing a sensor. The housing threads for the sensors generally do not seal right ever again, or they crack and leak etc. So the original issue was being forced to buy all new sensors and housing, thus the next generation was better. It has different sensors and the mounting method(o-rings and clips to hold them in).

This OP issue looks like it may be simply the sealing o-ring between the two housing halves.

I went through my 99 SOHC timing components in 2006, at 77,450 miles when I bought the truck. I reused all of the housing parts and sensors, I did not disturb the sensors, and they haven't leaked up to the 152k mark. A new thermostat and o-ring is all mine got in 2006. I do have a new aftermarket housing to replace it this time, I'm doing the timing stuff again.

But short term, the older OEM parts are usable as long as the sensors do not leak, and you don't ever try to loosen or tighten them. Don't touch the OEM 97-01 sensors.

Well due to time constraints I picked up a Murry from Oreilly for under $40.

At this point I need to just get it on and fill with water alone to run and be sure there is no additional damage before investing in anything.

Yes. It's reportedly for noise and heat absorption. Like you, I found it replacing my lower thermostat housing.

Insulation bag was punctured and soaked with coolant and oil so I tossed it after reading that's what most here do.

Good luck with the Murray housing. Most haven't had long term reliability with the aftermarket replacements.
Must say I bought a Murray 3649 thermostat from O'Reilly's in a pinch, and it's been great for over five years.

Yes. It's reportedly for noise and heat absorption. Like you, I found it replacing my lower thermostat housing.

I first thought some previous owner forgot some drugs they were smuggling! FREAKED ME OUT!!!

Back