Greetings and Truck stuck in park

CoastsideCyclist

Reaction score
City, State
Half Moon Bay, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hi All,

Just purchased my first truck/SUV a 2005 Ford Explorer Limited.

On the maiden outing with the family I parked at a farm stand that was on a very slight hill and did not engage the parking break. The car rolled back about a foot when I took my foot off the brake. When I went to leave I couldn't get the car out of park. Checked all the fuses and heard the switch click when pressing down the brake pedal. Didn't have any tools so couldn't try the interlock bypass so ended up calling AAA. The tow truck driver couldn't get it into gear even with the interlock bypass.

He ended up lifting the truck up looking at the linkage, lowering it and was then able to get it out of park.

Lesson learned- always use the emergency brake!!

Found this forum researching about this when I got home.

Have others had the same experience?

Do you always use your e-brake when on any slight hill?

Should I be worried about the transmission or linkage?

Cheers,
Marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! These vehicles are known for having transmission issues so you might want to bring it back to where you purchased and see what they can do for you.

This is a common problem among many cars. The slight incline is causing the vehicle to put pressure on the parking paul, thus not allowing it to release. Have some friends push the vehicle uphill a little and you should have no problem getting it out of gear. This occurrence happens a lot with japanese vehicles that roll up onto the curb stop of a parking space. Many have had a tranny rebuilt for no reason....lol.

Back