• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise, no forward

mikewilder

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Today my 95 limited started making a grinding noise when coasting, but not while applying torque. The noise seemed to go away at times, but always came back. On my way home, I decided to stop at a friends garage to see if he had ever heard this noise before. As I arrived, all forward torque stopped, nothing pulling and the grinding noise was quite loud. I coasted to his garage. The trans dipstick looked ok. He test drove it, and it seemed ok, no noise and pulling just fine, shifting fine as before. He suggested that maybe the transfer case was "between" 2 and 4, kind of "stuck" and had worked loose. End of the day on a Friday, bring it back Monday. As I drove away from his shop to my home, a loud grinding noise occurred and the thing dis-engaged. I coasted to a parking spot (thank goodness only 1 mile from home). It grinds like gears not quite meshing ( sounds like rocks in a blender!), will not pull and will not engage into park! Does this sound like a TC problem? Could it be the motor? Please tell me it is not the transmission! Has anyone had this happen? What is a good method of troubleshooting this?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back