Tranny Gear Grinding Noise When Coasting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Gear Grinding Noise When Coasting

ExploringNC

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hickory, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT, '91 EB
When truck is cold it goes into all gears no problem.When going down road and I let off the gas to coast I start to hear a gear grinding noise, not major but something is not fully disengaging. If I keep slight pressure on the gas and use the brake at same time to either cost or slow down grinding noise goes away. After driving a short while I can no longer go into R or P but will find D fine.

I've kinda assumed it is propably low hydrolic pressure But I don't have a clue where to start troubleshooting. Can someone point me in the right dirrection?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your u-joints/driveshaft bolts.

Check your u-joints/driveshaft bolts.
Uuuh, not likely... Common causes are one of the drums in the transmission (forget which one offhand) or the transfer case shift rail bore allowing the low range gears to grind out of position.

Search and ye shall find...

Good luck!

Its probably the transfer case. Do you get a grinding when trying to reverse?

Its the transfer case. Read through this thread. The grinding is the shift collar rubbing the shift fork.

Back