• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise

19krpm

Reaction score
City, State
seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport trac
I just bought an 01 sport trac 4wd 4.0 at auction knowing it had an issue. I have never heard such a bad noise coming from a vehicle before. It sounds like earth moving equipment tracks squealing. It is also accompanied by a grinding noise that resonates throughout the cabin. It also does not roll easily, I have to give it some gas before it even wants to more. The noise happens in 2wd and 4wd and seems to be coming from the front/midsection of the vehicle. I will post a youtube vid below for diagnostic sake. The lights that were on during vid are from me messing around with 4wd. It is also running rough so has a mil on but that is another story. No codes for the trans, but the battery was super dead when I got it so the memory is all cleared out. Any advice on where to look when I put it up in the air would be appreciated.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I deleted the other thread so people would not have to bounce back and forth with answers. since I did this I thought I would also chime in.
It's kind of difficult to pinpoint noises from computer speakers, but the first place i would start is the front drive shaft. Remove it and then go for a drive to see if the noise goes away. Heck, once the drive shaft is removed you might discover a toasted joint on the transfer case end of it. possibly the front joint also.
If the sounds persist, the issue could be a bad bearing or worse yet, something in the front differential. Once on a lift you'll be able to spin and move the front drive components .

Also, check the transmission mount, look for evidence of the front drive shaft making contact with the top side of the skid plate.

Thank you! I didn’t know how much traffic each subforum got, but I won’t cross post in the future. I don’t work on many domestic 4wds so they are admittedly my weak point. Hopefully it will be obvious when I get it on a lift, but worst case I will pull the driveline like you suggested.

This one was much easier than what I thought. The reason it was at an action is because the previous owner thought something was seriously wrong with it as did I when I unloaded it from the trailer. I thought the wheels looked funny for an Explorer. I'll just let the pictures do the talking. I don't know why people do stupid things like this. On to the next problem now.

IMG_7049.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

Yep, that would cause a grinding noise alright.

I never would have thought I would see something so dumb, but what would you expect from someone who buys primewells!? Apparently the wheels clear in the rear ok. I’m glad I only drove it from the trailer to the garage. It’s bad enough that I think I may be replacing the calipers.

I may have been suspicious as soon as I saw the odd wheel for an Expl, but maybe not.

Back