GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip

Alright thanks, I'll give them a ring in the morning

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make Sure you Unstack the ROCKs!! and where you were

If you ever stack rocks for an obstacle make sure you unstack them. Common Trail Manners. OCC went down a few months ago and took some pics of the stacked rocks on Kephart and it was UFB- They spent some time taking them out - DEpaving the trail. Sometimes stacking is needed but undo it when your done for the next guy to try- some of us like the challenges.
Kephart is doable with 30s and a good spotter, Donkey Boy drove it on 235s I think, and I ve done it on 235s and 31s open and locked. ( I also planted my rocker panel on the big rock on the right - NOT paying attention to my spotter) .

Taskers Gap is about 30 min north of Harrisionburg near Edinburg VA. The familiar 4x name is Peters Mill trail- it is commonly run by those of us in the DC area. I was on a ride there where we had a Grand Cherokee ( pay attention Micheal) slide down the trail and roll over onto its side. The next time the club was out a Ford PU was off the trail by the "big" ledge climb. Simple trail as described by most...I havent been on it in a while- they did a bunch of maintenance on it last year and it was closed for a while- the FS had to close off a bunch of illegal side trails that had developed over the years. Stay on the trail- trail closure is a real possibility. The FS has been pulling pics off the net to prosecute and to use as ammunition for closing.

From the GWNF web site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Lee Ranger District
The Lee Ranger District offers two trail systems for all-terrain vehicles and other off-highway vehicle enthusiasts: PETERS MILL RUN and TASKERS GAP. There is no fee for using or parking at these sites.

OHV VEHICLES PERMITTED: Four-wheel drive vehicles, motorcycles, motorbikes, four-wheel all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and mountain bicycles.

Both systems can be accessed off Virginia Highway 675 southeast of Edinburg. To learn more about these trails or the rules governing OHV and ATV use, please contact:

Lee Ranger District
109 Molineu Road
Edinburg, VA 22824
(540) 984-4101

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is another trail even further north off Rt 55 that I havent run yet, but on my list- it is probably the most difficult trail in the FS by the reports I have read.

Have Fun and Tread Lightly

I'll be there for this event, but at this time I'm not sure if I'll be wheeling my truck or not. I still haven't been able to fix my exhaust leak from trail damage, which has made me not want to wheel anymore until I can find a way to protect it from happening again. I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford it in time since I'm so far in debt to family members from being unemployed for 2 months... :(

I had high hopes that when I cranked it up tonight after all the work I did, it would be fixed. I'm really pissed off at four-wheeling at the moment.

Don't be mad at fourwheeling! These trails aren't really gnarly enough to smash anything up (at least the ones I plan on running).

Count me in. I'm coming up with my brother, JoshC, he's already said he's coming but count me in too.

I have a couple more guys that said something about coming up with me when we go. Looks like about 4 or so trucks coming with me.

Man, if everyone is coming that has said they are then we are going to have a hech of a group. That will be nice. Looking forward to it.

One thing i don't know if anyone has said yet or not, but everyone needs to have a towing point. Whether it be a bolted tow hook, a winch or a hitch, you need something. Just happened to cross my mind.

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by JoshC
One thing i don't know if anyone has said yet or not, but everyone needs to have a towing point. Whether it be a bolted tow hook, a winch or a hitch, you need something. Just happened to cross my mind.
I never got my tow hooks mounted, but I wrap my strap around my frame under the bumped in case of an emergency, it won't fail.

Sounds like we have a great group coming!

i have a hitch for the back and have been pulled by the frame in the front before, so that should be no problem

Originally posted by VBVASploder
I never got my tow hooks mounted, but I wrap my strap around my frame under the bumped in case of an emergency, it won't fail.

As long as you are comfortable with it and won't hold any one liable if something breaks.

Happy trails!!

Well, I doubt I'll even have the exhaust fixed in time for this trip anyways now. I can't break what's already broke, so there's no reason not to wheel now. :)

There ya go John, that's the way to do it!!

Happy trails!!

my x will finally be fixed tomorrow or Tuesday. New tranny and 4.10 gears and I'll be set to go.

Originally posted by JoshC
As long as you are comfortable with it and won't hold any one liable if something breaks.

Happy trails!!
Yeah man, what I break (knock on wood) is all my fault!

Originally posted by VBVASploder
Yeah man, what I break (knock on wood) is all my fault!

I've knocked on a lot of wood in my time! haha

Happy trails!!

DAMN!!! :fire:

I hit a deer last night. Big buck. Busted some stuff on the front end and blah blah blah. Can't afford to fix it, hoping there will be no deductible because if there is it'll be a long time before I can afford it.

Busted headlight, busted all the brackets and stuff that hold the headlight in place, busted part of the grille, dented the bumper, dented the fender, and bent something so now the tire is pointing out kind of bad and rubs if I turn the wheel very far. It's not as bad as it sounds, but will cost more than I can afford, which is nothing.

If the is no deductible for comprehensive coverage on my insurance and this can all get fixed in time, I'll be there. If not, sorry guys. I'll find out about the insurance tomorrow.

John, what can I say, but thats just unlucky. Hopefully your insurance works out well and you can still join us. Less than 2 weeks now!

John, I think I have the same luck as you. Tested out my 4WD last weekend to make sure everything was running smoothly. Put it in low, turned the wheel only to hear a nice whirring sound and before I could even straighten it out my U bolt snapped. So it looks like I'm gonna be out too. Anyone know how much one of these cost to replace?

dmasini - good luck with the repair! We would still love to see you (if you can get your Ex fixed or want to ride along with someone). Good luck in the meantime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by dmasini
Put it in low, turned the wheel only to hear a nice whirring sound and before I could even straighten it out my U bolt snapped.
What u-bolt? Or do you mean u-joint? U-joints are cheap.

If my truck doesn't get fixed in time, which I'm 99% sure it won't, anybody mind a passenger? I wouldn't mind riding with somebody just to meet you guys.

Back